Nocturnes for 'lesser hands'

Hi  y'all,  This here is the 5th in a series of pieces I have been

working on fer years.( I hope to write 10 to 12 in total and possibly

publish.)             I've always loved Nocturnes,( especially at night ) har X 2.

The main idea was to write simpler pcs. more or less like training wheels

for beginners or folks who like to play but don't have the skills to tackle

the Pro's.

I'm curious as to what mood you think this alludes to. or use the star scale  or.....

( don't just sit there   give me some feedback   but remember...Santa's watchin' )    

)

NOCTURNE #.5.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I couldn't get any feedback from an earlier post elsewhere, so I shoved it here.and the main reason I'm in this forum is in hope of gaining a better perspective

on my music      It's totally selfish    but I have no other soundingboard

Please advise.... where better??RS

• Honestly, I have no idea how it got into Politics  did a secret panel vote it in -  

I think not.  I read 'forum' , scrolled  down and clicked. My mind was on

location-location- location      equation   V=C/FX3     get it?  RS

Kristofer Emerig said:

No Roger, not why on this forum - I mean why in the "Politics and Music" area.

When you start a discussion, there's an option for where to categorize it. Usually, it is "Dissection" for peer review.

roger stancill said:

I couldn't get any feedback from an earlier post elsewhere, so I shoved it here.and the main reason I'm in this forum is in hope of gaining a better perspective

Hi  y'all,  This here is the 5th in a series of pieces I have been      working on fer years.( I hope to write 10 to 12 in total and possibly      pu…
  • Hi Roger,

Initial comment: you need to activate the right hand more - it could be carrying on much more melodic content.

More later...

RH

• this formula refers to Forum Relativity - not Quantum Relativity   

with this equation :  V- isibility   equals  C- uriosity  multiplying  F- eedback  exponentially

a Theory that seems to only work on paper

here's one for you - puncuate this;  it that is is it that is not is not is not that it it is
    Kristofer Emerig said:

Shouldn't that be V=C/Lambda? Are you saying you're on a different wavelength? Join the club.

Speaking of cryptic ciphers, how about:

wood

John

England

roger stancill said:

Honestly, I have no idea how it got into Politics  did a secret panel vote it in -  

I think not.  I read 'forum' , scrolled  down and clicked. My mind was on

location-location- location      equation   V=C/FX3     get it?  RS

Kristofer Emerig said:

No Roger, not why on this forum - I mean why in the "Politics and Music" area.

When you start a discussion, there's an option for where to categorize it. Usually, it is "Dissection" for peer review.

roger stancill said:

I couldn't get any feedback from an earlier post elsewhere, so I shoved it here.and the main reason I'm in this forum is in hope of gaining a better perspective

Hi  y'all,  This here is the 5th in a series of pieces I have been      working on fer years.( I hope to write 10 to 12 in total and possibly      pu…
  • nope      how bout 3 tries for a quarter      nothing is missing     except the puncuation

properly placed  it'll make perfect sense       RS

• when I first saw and tried this, I thought it would be easy    no one in the class got it right    

but it was fun to watch the attempts on the blackboard as we all took a shot at it 

NEXT
    Kristofer Emerig said:

It that is is it that is not. Is not? Is not that it? It is.

OK, how about this interpretation? I have more.

roger stancill said:

nope      how bout 3 tries for a quarter      nothing is missing     except the puncuation

• agreed, the left hand for the most part is static   but that is the purpose. Have you forgotten what it

was to be a beginner? Training your hands to move and hit the correct notes without looking down

from the written music thus gaining the ability as 2nd nature to play more fluidly. Sure the piece could

be embellished and lengthened but that would defeat the purpose. (see headline)  Thanks for the comments

and feedback   RS

Kristofer Emerig said:

I'm going to second Mr. Hunter's (the thought occurred to me independently after listening to a few piano pieces) opinion, although I believe he might have intended to say "left hand" - if I'm mistaken, I apologize in advance.

I think your music would benefit greatly by even a cursory study of inverted counterpoint, at least at the 10th and 12th. Forcing yourself to such a protocol would stimulate you to explore greater melodic content in the lower (left hand) registers, and allow your work to transcend the "melody + accompaniment" feeling that it now possesses. Not that these aren't nice enough musical ideas, but I believe they'd be even better with a more integrated contrapuntal approach.

• eh   no paper lost and not much else happening     there may be more than 1 solution

but the 'correct 1' WILL make the most sense        

Kristofer Emerig said:

It that is is it that is not. Is not, is not that it? It is.

You responded before I edited - hate when that happens. I think I can find no fewer than a half dozen or so ways this can work grammatically. And what better place to solve these puzzles than a composers' forum?

roger stancill said:

when I first saw and tried this, I thought it would be easy    no one in the class got it right    

but it was fun to watch the attempts on the blackboard as we all took a shot at it 

NEXT
    Kristofer Emerig said:

It that is is it that is not. Is not? Is not that it? It is.

OK, how about this interpretation? I have more.

roger stancill said:

nope      how bout 3 tries for a quarter      nothing is missing     except the puncuation

• I will counterpoint with - what will sell more to the non- professional everyday wanna be ....in this

day and age ...   Bach -  to a small handful dreaming of Carnegie Hall or for the lighter, less interested

in the high-brow of music, weekend hobbyist ,( and there's got to be hundreds,) or what I'm trying to put together?I guess I should research music stores to verify general overall sales. I know, I'll sell it under a pen name ...

how about  Ludwig Bachman   ar-ar-ar

Kristofer Emerig said:

Yes, I read the heading and understand its intent as a primer, but then so are the Two Part Inventions, and Sinfonias, both of which utilize double and triple counterpoint to "push" thematic material through all textural, and thus hand, positions, the result of which is that all musical figures are equally represented and balanced in all voices.

Frequently in Byrd's keyboard pieces (pavans, galliardes, fantasies), one will encounter places where one hand blocks out harmony against the other hand's fluid melodic lines. Noteworthy though is that there is almost invariably a reciprocal strain with similar material which reverses the role of the hands, often in succession.

roger stancill said:

agreed, the left hand for the most part is static   but that is the purpose. Have you forgotten what it

was to be a beginner? Training your hands to move and hit the correct notes without looking down

from the written music thus gaining the ability as 2nd nature to play more fluidly. Sure the piece could

be embellished and lengthened but that would defeat the purpose. (see headline)  Thanks for the comments

and feedback   RS

Kristofer Emerig said:

I'm going to second Mr. Hunter's (the thought occurred to me independently after listening to a few piano pieces) opinion, although I believe he might have intended to say "left hand" - if I'm mistaken, I apologize in advance.

I think your music would benefit greatly by even a cursory study of inverted counterpoint, at least at the 10th and 12th. Forcing yourself to such a protocol would stimulate you to explore greater melodic content in the lower (left hand) registers, and allow your work to transcend the "melody + accompaniment" feeling that it now possesses. Not that these aren't nice enough musical ideas, but I believe they'd be even better with a more integrated contrapuntal approach.

• Yes,  I knew that - you have Sheldonitis  it's generally harmless but can be contagious.
     and yes you have correctly puzzled it out      very good    Thanks for playing  
    Kristofer Emerig said:

You should know in advance, I can not put a puzzle down - ever, until solved. It is my Achilles Heel.

It that is, is. It that is not, is not. Is not that it? It is.

roger stancill said:

eh   no paper lost and not much else happening     there may be more than 1 solution

but the 'correct 1' WILL make the most sense        

This reply was deleted.