Here is a piece I wrote last fall (2009) for the Cleveland Chamber Collective. It was performed under the auspices of the Cleveland Composers Guild of which I am a member. I am well past traditional harmonies, so if you are not into contemporary, this may sound a bit strange. I have a masters degree in music comp and theory and am being tutored now by a composer who has studied with Elliott Carter. (Because I have gotten this in the past, I add this note - "the last sentence is not a justification of the work, it is a reference to what I am studying.) If you don't know Ellliot Carter, you should give him a listen. He has been composing for over 80 years (yes, 80 - he is over a hundred and still composing.)

The piece is called: Night Moods.It is a reflective piece about different aspects of the night; quiet reflective, bustling and hectic, intimate, disturbing and then quiet and reflective. Though it is not programmatic in the sense of story telling, it does try to portray the feelings of a night’s sleep. Normal sleep is followed by different dreams, some disturbing and some fun. But, in the end just a quiet sleep prevails.

Night Moods

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think you set a very clear mood thruout the piece. The harmonies are not traditional, but aren't 'difficult to understand" either. I think you did a great job. Your hamonic language is very 'fluent' and your use of instruments very effective.
  • Thanks Gjis for the comments. It was well recieved in performance. The musicians also loved playing the work. It was marvelous to watch as masters played their instruments from music I had composed.

Thanks for the listen,

Best regards,
    Bill

Gijs van Beusekom said:
    I think you set a very clear mood thruout the piece. The harmonies are not traditional, but aren't 'difficult to understand" either. I think you did a great job. Your hamonic language is very 'fluent' and your use of instruments very effective.
    Night Moods - for Flute, String Qt and Pno
    Here is a piece I wrote last fall (2009) for the Cleveland Chamber Collective. It was performed under the auspices of the Cleveland Composers Guild o…
  • I can only imaging how great it must be to have proffesionals play your music for a live audiens. Must be really exciting. Esspecialy when the music is well recieved.

William Rayer said:
    Thanks Gjis for the comments. It was well recieved in performance. The musicians also loved playing the work. It was marvelous to watch as masters played their instruments from music I had composed.

Thanks for the listen,

Best regards,
    Bill

Gijs van Beusekom said:
    I think you set a very clear mood thruout the piece. The harmonies are not traditional, but aren't 'difficult to understand" either. I think you did a great job. Your hamonic language is very 'fluent' and your use of instruments very effective.
    Here is a piece I wrote last fall (2009) for the Cleveland Chamber Collective. It was performed under the auspices of the Cleveland Composers Guild o…
  • Very good. I like the unusual harmonies and the way instruments interact.

Can´t really find things I don´t like about it. Good job!
  • Well Miguel, I am glad you can't find too many things wrong with it. It was a fun exercise. And, I felt the results were very good.
    Thanks for the listen.

Best
    Bill

Miguel Marquez said:
    Very good. I like the unusual harmonies and the way instruments interact.

Can´t really find things I don´t like about it. Good job!
  • Thanks for listening, Newport. I am glad you enjoyed the work.

Best regards,
    Bill
  • I really enjoyed this piece, particularly the way you interposed sweet and more conventional harmonic content with the more contemporary - just when I thought I couldn't take any more of the busy-ness / unconventional, you would throw a bit of conventional in and ease my troubled mind :). At 4:31 in the piece, when the strings were playing, it was almost heavenly - very touching.

Thanks for sharing this one!
  • It will draw you in. The performers were excellent in this piece and adapted well to the changing styles!

Mark McDowell said:
    I really enjoyed this piece, particularly the way you interposed sweet and more conventional harmonic content with the more contemporary - just when I thought I couldn't take any more of the busy-ness / unconventional, you would throw a bit of conventional in and ease my troubled mind :). At 4:31 in the piece, when the strings were playing, it was almost heavenly - very touching.

Thanks for sharing this one!
This reply was deleted.