Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi,

This is a recording of my performance of a recent work that I composed titled 

Night at the City

Score is attached,

Best Wishes,

Saul Gefen

Views: 84

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Saul,

It's a wonderfully tranquil atmosphere but evoked a sense of loneliness, desolation perhaps (that I've felt in days when it was safer to walk the streets of London or my home town with almost everything closed but shopfronts still casting light into the streets. No other person in sight). Yet it comes with a warmth. A time for reflection. A time to exercise hope.  

Most sensitively performed. I have no other comment on the music itself. I did look at the score and noticed some very small note duration values which seemed to be absorbed with the slight rubato in your work.

Another superb piece, Saul.

Thank you for posting it. 

Bests,

Dane.

Oh I really like this one Saul. 

Evokes a melancholy evening in the city for sure. I can relate to Dane's comments on this. Does have a lonely feeling to it.

To Dane and Tim,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Some background:

These several months have been really difficult for everyone here in New York City. I think that the pandemic here was the worst in all of America. The streets were desolate, there was no traffic, and an erey feeling had dominated the entirety of the city. Just when you thought that this unique situation is going to bring people together, exactly the opposite occurred and spontaneous and systematic devastation and destruction has taken place in New York city from the rioters and looters.

Entire sections of Manhattan have been destroyed, utterly all business were devastated and burnt to the ground. I can't remember anything so bad happening in New York since the twin tower attacks.

This entire mood of separation, mistrust, anger and animosity between people has created a sadness in the air that one can feel. It is a most unfortunate situation were people of the same country utterly can't get along and posses such hate, a hate that is usually kept between enemies.

So this music reflects these difficult times, though there is always a ray of hope, I hope that eventually all these fighting and hate will cease and people will begin to see the beauty that exists in each other. Though the current state of affairs is dire, and many people are talking about irreconcilable differences, even to civil war. What has happening in America is terrible beyond words, all these racial hate and tension only brings out the bad that exists in humanity. I remember about reading the 30 year war that took place in the 16 century where white europeans of the same Christian religion have destroyed each other and millions were killed. These were between people of the the same race and religion. So too in Africa, the massacre of Rwanda where blacks have massacred about a million other blacks, these was violence that involved the same race, and yet they killed each other.

These so called 'racial' problems that exist, is just an excuse to cover a greater evil, which is that people simply can't get along, and race has very little to do with it, as demonstrated countless times from history where people of the same race and religion have destroyed each other. The problem is hate, power and control, and these issues exist within all people and within all races. 

It is about time for people of all races and creeds, of all religions to see each other's humanity and stop with this hate. Stop calling it racism, call it for what it is, the inability of humans to get along with other humans because of hate, control, and power. After all we do live on the same planet, and for heaven's sake, all of the people of the world will have to find a way to accept each other, stop blaming their problems on others, and see each other as equal, and fully accept each other. 

Otherwise, the entire world is going to eat itself to extinction.

Again, thanks for listening,

Best of Wishes,

Saul 

Saul, what a wonderful way to put it. A statement carrying unfortunate and saddening truths. There is no reason why anyone need hate or denigrate anyone else unless there's been a personal sleight. But at the community, the racial, the religious level, why? I'm convinced the provocation comes from politicians and the (to me abusive) drive of materialism and the way it's marketed. Marketeers tinkering with people's minds in ways they know not to awaken latent desires, perhaps through envy or the threat to people's self-confidence, female cosmetic ads being the worst.

There's no reason why 999‰ people couldn't live and let live.

Your work so wonderfully reflects the sadness and abandon.

Cheers,

Dane.

I am sorry to hear of the plight in New York Saul. I have my own ideas on this which are probably better left unsaid on a forum for music.

 I hope you are able to get some kind of normal life there soon. Hopefully things will die down somewhat.

Thanks Tim,

You can text me your thoughts about this,

Regards

 

Thanks Dane,

Dane Aubrun said:

Saul, what a wonderful way to put it. A statement carrying unfortunate and saddening truths. There is no reason why anyone need hate or denigrate anyone else unless there's been a personal sleight. But at the community, the racial, the religious level, why? I'm convinced the provocation comes from politicians and the (to me abusive) drive of materialism and the way it's marketed. Marketeers tinkering with people's minds in ways they know not to awaken latent desires, perhaps through envy or the threat to people's self-confidence, female cosmetic ads being the worst.

There's no reason why 999‰ people couldn't live and let live.

Your work so wonderfully reflects the sadness and abandon.

Cheers,

Dane.

Are you saying racism doesn't exist saul? Because it definitely exists and is not an excuse!

Saul Gefen said:

These so called 'racial' problems that exist, is just an excuse to cover a greater evil

You misunderstood. I said that there is racism but that's only a small manifestation of a greater evil of hate, power and control. If racism was only driving force for committing crimes then white on white and black on black crimes wouldn't exist.

Charles Holt said:

Are you saying racism doesn't exist saul? Because it definitely exists and is not an excuse!

Saul Gefen said:

These so called 'racial' problems that exist, is just an excuse to cover a greater evil

I really enjoyed this. As Dane pointed out, it does evoke a sense of loneliness, beautifully. Nice work

Thank you for your kind comments.

Francois Jenno said:

I really enjoyed this. As Dane pointed out, it does evoke a sense of loneliness, beautifully. Nice work

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service