Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a self taught muso who is now getting serious about composing and would like some feedback on a track I recorded with real Violin. Would appreciate any pointers on music, quality etc.

Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/peter-cavallo/in-the-tears

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Peter, this is fantastic. My only complaint is that there isn't more.

I really enjoyed the simple elegance, the tender passion and the

subtle tensions you were able to achieve in a very human

way. Touchingly soulful- rare to hear these days      RS

Hi Pekka,

Thanks for the info. I'll play with the EQ a bit although I don't like changing the sound too much and loose the honesty of the instrument. I don't know what type of music you play but how much do you compress orchestral music, this has been a long concern of mine wondering if I should be compressing or limiting the final mix at all?

PeterC

Pekka Vermasvuo said:

This is a lovely and well balanced piece. I don't mind that 'graininess' of the violin - I think it adds some great intimacy which really works. If you find it is too much, start experimenting with a shallow EQ cut of 1-2dB (or even more) with a centre frequency around 3-3.5KHz. This is the frequency range where the graininess for strings usually lives. I only have experience on virtual strings in this respect but it should work with a real violin too. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Thank you so much Roger! I appreciate your encouragement as it's certainly required to keep me moving foward. :)

roger stancill said:

Hi Peter, this is fantastic. My only complaint is that there isn't more.

I really enjoyed the simple elegance, the tender passion and the

subtle tensions you were able to achieve in a very human

way. Touchingly soulful- rare to hear these days      RS

How would you describe the structure of this?

Im new to this too.  I wish i could play real violin on my pieces as it gives life to a piece like nothing else.  Id say keep using real instruments and you'll stand out for sure! good luck.

I wish I was able to play my violin after a very, very long break but I think my current neighbours would disagree...Adding any real instrument to the mix takes it to completely new dimensions. I too encourage you to stay on this path and use real instruments whenever it is possible.

The structure is start playing and hope to God that it all works in the end.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service