Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a self taught muso who is now getting serious about composing and would like some feedback on a track I recorded with real Violin. Would appreciate any pointers on music, quality etc.

Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/peter-cavallo/in-the-tears

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very, very lovely. So... you're self-taught and only just now getting serious about composing, huh? Give it a year and post something you've done and I believe I'll probably consider shooting myself... 

The crispness of the solo violin here really shines through just beautifully. I also liked the mournful simplicity of the piano, which comes off rather like a plaintive lover who can only bear to repeat what's most important to her. The only problem I have is that it was too brief. I think you ought to expand on it, see where all it can lead you.   

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind words. I was fearful of extending it because I didn't know where to go next and needed to be sure I didn't overstep the mark. What I found really challenging was not overtaking the violin and keeping it's purity intact. It is a sensitive piece and I have tried to make it as gentle as possible for the listener.

I appreciate you listening in :)

It surely is sensitive... It also strikes me as being perfect for a film scene suitable to its emotional content. I get where you're coming from about not wanting to spoil its purity, but I suspect you'd be up to the challenge, based on what you've managed with it so far. All up to you, obviously... But, I have to say, if that prospect seems a little daunting to you, then that might be reason enough to "take the fight to it," you know what I mean? 
PeterC said:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind words. I was fearful of extending it because I didn't know where to go next and needed to be sure I didn't overstep the mark. What I found really challenging was not overtaking the violin and keeping it's purity intact. It is a sensitive piece and I have tried to make it as gentle as possible for the listener.

I appreciate you listening in :)

I'l think about a re-write then :)

Do many composers here write for music libraries or mainly for films and media? I was thinking of getting into the library music scene but am playing it a bit cautious at this stage. Film and tv work is hard to break into, so many good composers now doing music from home.

We've got all kinds here, but I think most of us are simply hobbyists, as am I. I do have a friend in Scotland who makes short films from time to time who I've wanted to try collaborating with, but nothing has been able to pan out so far. He's a very creative sort, very brilliantly wordy, in particular, but... a little fickle and inconsistent. Frankly, I suspect some degree of bipolar disorder there, but who knows? Still, I was thinking just earlier today about shooting him an email and seeing if I can whip up a little enthusiasm in him again... You're so right about it being such a difficult business to break into, but, for me, even just putting some music to pretty much anything would feel like a great success...

PeterC said:

Do many composers here write for music libraries or mainly for films and media? I was thinking of getting into the library music scene but am playing it a bit cautious at this stage. Film and tv work is hard to break into, so many good composers now doing music from home.

I should have added that you should be careful about which library you might want to compose for... Probably you're already aware of it, but some of them are pretty disreputable, from what I've heard. 
PeterC said:

Thanks Goat,

It was hard to get the subtle string sound that it needed. But I know what you are saying 'grainy' i wanted them lush, but it didn't work out like that. thanks for your feedback. 

Good point. I'll revisit my expression envelope and see what tweaks I can smooth out. I might even change the sample to something like a muted string which should help to even out the tone.  

thanks for the advice and listening.

As I posted on SoundCloud, it was the simplicity of this piece that makes it what it is.  Very nicely done.

Thank you Michael. I value your input.

This is a lovely and well balanced piece. I don't mind that 'graininess' of the violin - I think it adds some great intimacy which really works. If you find it is too much, start experimenting with a shallow EQ cut of 1-2dB (or even more) with a centre frequency around 3-3.5KHz. This is the frequency range where the graininess for strings usually lives. I only have experience on virtual strings in this respect but it should work with a real violin too. Thanks for sharing this with us!

I also liked the graininess in the solo violin part. To me, that's part of the charm of the instrument, anyway. Makes it seem like a more human performance.

Pekka Vermasvuo said:

This is a lovely and well balanced piece. I don't mind that 'graininess' of the violin - I think it adds some great intimacy which really works. If you find it is too much, start experimenting with a shallow EQ cut of 1-2dB (or even more) with a centre frequency around 3-3.5KHz. This is the frequency range where the graininess for strings usually lives. I only have experience on virtual strings in this respect but it should work with a real violin too. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service