Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

New Work for Pipe Organ: Banais Am Bana-Ghàidheal (The Gaelic Lady's Wedding) in D minor

Hi All

Here's a new pipe organ piece called Banais Am Bana-Ghàidheal (The Gaelic Lady's Wedding).

I actually knew the lady quite well when I was a boy at my Granny's house near Oban. She was our next door neighbour and could speak Gaelic better than she could speak English - as I recall she and her husband (who was a seafarer) were from the Island of Lismore just off the coast near Oban - Lismore in gaelic (Lios Mòr) means a great garden.

I was of course too young to have been at her wedding so I just imagined it.

Here's the score. I've laid it out over two organs for the sake of clarity.

Banais%20Am%20Bana-Gha%CC%80idheal.pdf

Enjoy, Colin

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's nothing to be critical about. It's a pleasant piece, easy to listen to - and an engaging story - Lismore Castle is somewhere I'd love to visit.

Nice canon-like entry at bar 78. Good contrasts in registration and the pedal part is straightforward and effective. All nicely balanced.

Well done.

May I ask if you're an organist?  

Hi Dane

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not an organist - I've never played a real one - but I've been a fan since I bought maybe my second vinyl LP of Bach's greatest organ hits played by the great Lionel Rogg.

Cheers, Colin

Very nice melody at the begining and at the end

No surprise (if I may say so) about being a fan of the organ. In playing a virtual one you've chosen some good stops to make the piece really effective. No need to blast it out on full great coupled to everything else! It's just right. It's putting the pressure on me to get the vsl one (a concert hall instrument).

Colin Dougall said:

Hi Dane

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not an organist - I've never played a real one - but I've been a fan since I bought maybe my second vinyl LP of Bach's greatest organ hits played by the great Lionel Rogg.

Cheers, Colin

Wonderful music. Really enjoyable. This working around a simple but unique and beautiful theme works so brilliantly well. And for sure one can hear the Gaelic mood here, such as we modern people know it. The choice of instrument is excellent. After having heard this piece, I cannot imagine any other setting.

Gratefully,

Kjell

Hi

It's certainly worth having. The only issue I have is that there doesn't seem to be an implementation of the swell/crescendo pedals.

The makers of Pianotech are soon to release Organtech - a modelled organ. Their pianos get rave reviews so it wil be interesting to hear what it sounds like and what stops it comes with.

Cheers, Colin

Dane Aubrun said:

No surprise (if I may say so) about being a fan of the organ. In playing a virtual one you've chosen some good stops to make the piece really effective. No need to blast it out on full great coupled to everything else! It's just right. It's putting the pressure on me to get the vsl one (a concert hall instrument).

Colin Dougall said:

Hi Dane

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not an organist - I've never played a real one - but I've been a fan since I bought maybe my second vinyl LP of Bach's greatest organ hits played by the great Lionel Rogg.

Cheers, Colin

Hi Kjell

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated. Colin

Kjell Prytz said:

Wonderful music. Really enjoyable. This working around a simple but unique and beautiful theme works so brilliantly well. And for sure one can hear the Gaelic mood here, such as we modern people know it. The choice of instrument is excellent. After having heard this piece, I cannot imagine any other setting.

Gratefully,

Kjell

Hi Jostain

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. Colin

Jostein Kauserud said:

Very nice melody at the begining and at the end

Very evocative music, Colin. Very stately, and suggesting a time and place now existing only in our memories. (Not mine, of course, since I have never been to the Blessed Isles. But after hearing this I can almost feel I have caught a glimpse of them, through green mists and amber sunlight, appearing out of the frozen past like the enchanted village of Brigadoon).

OK, I'll stop with the purple prose. You write for the organ with such natural verve that it's hard to believe you have never played one. It gives me hope that perhaps I could try my hand at this too.

Did you study organ technique at all? How did you prepare yourself to do this? Or did you just jump in? Please, let us in on the secret!

Hi Michael

Thanks for you kind comments. I have carried out quite a bit of research on how organs are constructed and how the different ranks of pipes sound individually and together - there are an awful lot of stops to listen to before settling on a registration for a particular piece. The American Guild of Organists have a lot of helpful information on it on their website.

I guess if you are going to write for the organ you need a half-decent vst. I have the full version of VSL's Konzerthaus Organ which is expensive but worth it - they periodically have it on a 40% off deal. I also have the Garritan Classic Pipe Organs collection, good but not as good as VSL's. 

Thanks, Colin


michael diemer said:

Very evocative music, Colin. Very stately, and suggesting a time and place now existing only in our memories. (Not mine, of course, since I have never been to the Blessed Isles. But after hearing this I can almost feel I have caught a glimpse of them, through green mists and amber sunlight, appearing out of the frozen past like the enchanted village of Brigadoon).

OK, I'll stop with the purple prose. You write for the organ with such natural verve that it's hard to believe you have never played one. It gives me hope that perhaps I could try my hand at this too.

Did you study organ technique at all? How did you prepare yourself to do this? Or did you just jump in? Please, let us in on the secret!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sign up info

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2019   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service