Just completed a new composition for Wind Orchestra - It's a mirage, Igor

(Instrumentation: 1 Picc, 2 Fl, 2 Ob. 1 CA, 1 Cl (Eb), 2 Cl (Bb), 1 Bass Clarinet, 2 Bassoon, 1 Contrabassoon, 4 Horn, 3 Trumpet, 3 Trombone, 1 Tuba, Timpani, Percussion)

MP3 created using Sibelius (and the Sibelius Essentials samples)

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A great piece of work David, and very listenable for a notation app rendered recording.

Glad you like it. 

I should point out that external to Sibelius I added reverb and compression, and the copy of the score that is used to create the MP3 had a lot of manual humanizing done to it to add in all those subtleties that a conductor/orchestra would do instinctively but a software program would find very difficult.

• Is there a score? 

• Score attached.

(Score is also available at http://www.scoreexchange.com/scores/122689.html )

It's a mirage, Igor_FullScore.pdf

• The Sibelius Eseentials sound great!  So does the music!

• Ok, obvious, you know what you are doing.  I'll do two replies.  This one will be about typesetting which you clearly have chops. Take them with a  grain of salt.

1) Warum habet du in English and Italian geschrieben?  Notice how I switched languages?  That what's you did when you listed "Cor Anglais."  If you are listing them in English you have to use English Horn.  Language must be consistent.

2) When you go to 3/4, notate if the Dotted-Quarter note becomes the Quarter, or if the eighth note beat is consistent.  That is very important.  So what if they have a recording.  Put it on the score.  This will be good for the players also.

3) On the first page of the actually music, make sure you add the part numbers i.e. Flute 1, Flute 2.

4)  You have a floating piano bracket on your marimba part. 

5) It's no need to say "tenor" for trombone.  We already know it's tenor. That was used because the alto trombone was in practice in the 18th and 19th century.  It's cumbersome to use it now (tenor).

6) Proper abbreviation for trumpet is "trpt". 

7) Your score order is incorrect.  Although some place the Horns before the trumpet (standard practice in orchestra), it is more common to switch the two in band.  Second, the percussion are last. Percussion only come before strings. 

8) Tuba doesn't need to be abbreviated.  You used "Timp" so you can use four letters for "Tuba.

9) "lontano" should be italics.  Actually, all dynamic markings are in italics.  

10)  Your piece has 480 measures.  Just a suggestion, it might be more advantageous to use measure numbers as rehearsal markings than letters.  I know it would laborious to switch but that's just a suggestion.

Hope this helps!

Musically Yours,

Chad "Sir Wick" Hughes

• Take them with a  grain of salt.

Noted

1) Warum habet du in English and Italian geschrieben?  Notice how I switched languages?  That what's you did when you listed "Cor Anglais."  If you are listing them in English you have to use English Horn.  Language must be consistent.

'Cor Anglais' is actually French (corno inglese in Italian), but I get your point. However, I've seen scores by publishers which use English for all the instruments except for Cor Anglais (where they use 'Cor Anglais').

2) When you go to 3/4, notate if the Dotted-Quarter note becomes the Quarter, or if the eighth note beat is consistent.  That is very important.  So what if they have a recording.  Put it on the score.  This will be good for the players also.

Fair point. I think, off the top of my head, it is eighth note equals eighth note throughout, but indicating it in the score would certainly take away any possible confusion.

3) On the first page of the actually music, make sure you add the part numbers i.e. Flute 1, Flute 2.  

Fair point

4)  You have a floating piano bracket on your marimba part.  

This was caused when I created the PDF for this site. (I should have picked it up). It does not exist in the score that is available on ScoreExchange

5) It's no need to say "tenor" for trombone.  We already know it's tenor. That was used because the alto trombone was in practice in the 18th and 19th century.  It's cumbersome to use it now (tenor).

Perhaps, but it is only 'cumbersome' for me to write it in the score, not for a conductor reading it, or a player playing the part.  ;-)

I would argue that in English the abbreviation is 'tpt.' (tromp. if French is used, tr. if German, and so on)

7) Your score order is incorrect.  Although some place the Horns before the trumpet (standard practice in orchestra), it is more common to switch the two in band.  Second, the percussion are last. Percussion only come before strings.  

True, for band scores, but this is in the (layout) vein of Stravinsky's Symphonies of Wind Instruments, which uses the orchestral layout re: horns. Fair point on the percussion. It should probably be located at the bottom of the score.

8) Tuba doesn't need to be abbreviated.  You used "Timp" so you can use four letters for "Tuba.

I've seen scores where Tuba is and isn't abbreviated.

9) "lontano" should be italics.  Actually, all dynamic markings are in italics.   

Yes, I may have missed italicizing some of those additional indications. (As far as I am aware all my actual dynamic markings are italicized in this score)

10)  Your piece has 480 measures.  Just a suggestion, it might be more advantageous to use measure numbers as rehearsal markings than letters.  I know it would laborious to switch but that's just a suggestion

There are 2 camps of thought on rehearsal numbers/letters, with pros and cons for both. I fall into the letter (and latter) camp.

• Per

Have you made more pieces for wind orchestras and is it supposed to be a part of something bigger?

How did you get the soundcloud player in your top post?

These are the steps I follow (some of which you probably already know):-

(1) In Soundcloud select the relevant track and click on Share

(2) Click on Edit your widget and choose the Flash tab *

(3) Switch off Show track comments (optional)

(4) Copy the code from the Copy and paste the widget code to your website section

(5) Paste the code into your topic  while in HTML mode

(6) Return to Visual Mode to complete any other text you want in your topic (or you can do it in HTML mode if you are comfortable with HTML)

Your soundcloud track should then appear OK in the topic

(* It may also work using the soundcloud HTML5 option, but I haven't tried that yet, so cannot confirm)

• Per

My previous reply appeared to lose a line...

Have you made more pieces for wind orchestras and is it supposed to be a part of something bigger?

No this is the first piece I have written for wind orchestra. It is meant to be a stand-alone piece

•  

1) Warum habet du in English and Italian geschrieben?  Notice how I switched languages?  That what's you did when you listed "Cor Anglais."  If you are listing them in English you have to use English Horn.  Language must be consistent.

'Cor Anglais' is actually French (corno inglese in Italian), but I get your point. However, I've seen scores by publishers which use English for all the instruments except for Cor Anglais (where they use 'Cor Anglais').

Man, I must have been tired, you are correct. It is french....very french :)

I would argue that in English the abbreviation is 'tpt.' (tromp. if French is used, tr. if German, and so on)

You know, I've seen a lot of people use "tpt" lately which goes against my teaching.  It's minute.

8) Tuba doesn't need to be abbreviated.  You used "Timp" so you can use four letters for "Tuba.

I've seen scores where Tuba is and isn't abbreviated. 

True.  I was thinking more along a publishing standpoint and making a consistency with scores. 

10)  Your piece has 480 measures.  Just a suggestion, it might be more advantageous to use measure numbers as rehearsal markings than letters.  I know it would laborious to switch but that's just a suggestion

There are 2 camps of thought on rehearsal numbers/letters, with pros and cons for both. I fall into the letter (and latter) camp.

Very true. point taken.

New piece for Wind Orchestra :- It's a mirage, Igor
    Just completed a new composition for Wind Orchestra - It's a mirage, Igor   (Instrumentation: 1 Picc, 2 Fl, 2 Ob. 1 CA, 1 Cl (Eb), 2 Cl (Bb), 1 Bass…
  • 2nd Reply on the composition.

As I said earlier, you obviously know what you are doing and it is clear you have a respect for penmanship and melodic development.  This is a very strong piece.  It isn't much I can say about the composition itself because it works and it works well.  There are a few orchestration things that you might consider.

meas 194.  You have the Bass Trombone going lower than the tuba. Did you want that?  It's pretty low on bass trombone.  Will it have the sonority you want that low?

meas 197: Would you consider putting the sixteenth notes on beat 4 in the second bassoon in the contra? Is say this to so the downbeats may lock better when the 1st bassoon enters?  You did what I mentioned in measures 212-213.

Meas. 235-237:  The beaming in the flute and clarinet goes against the grain.  I think this is situation where seeing beat 3 is best.

Meas. 261 and perhaps throughout:  Once again, this maybe from a school of thought.  I usually try to avoid what I call hanging sixteenth rests.  Could you get the same effect by writing two sixteenth and an eighth?  I tend to get quicker results on the latter.  Once again, school of thought.

Conclusion: Great piece.  Put it in some competitions.

This reply was deleted.