Replies

• thanks for the suggestion Peter, but still not decided on that.

Anyway, mix 2 is now on the opening thread - much improved.

• I like the piece ...

Mix-wise, I would try to better separate the frequencies ...

In the real world the trombone would be much more clearly perceived in the foreground ...

(same situation as for piano and cello) ...

keep up the good work

• Thanks Livo - I listened to your music and loved it, so your opinion is highly regaded.

The mixing to me is not my forte - I could spend a lot more money and time on it, but I really just use it as a guide for players. But any suggestions are valued.

I suppose to separate the frequencies I would give the trombone one frequency graph shape on cubase (eg a high bottom and top) and the piano a different one (eg all the middle)?

• thanks ...

mixing is a problem for me as well ... I do understand what is needed but then I have trouble implementing it ...

in this case the solution is probably what you said ...

however, in my experience (observing experts doing it), it remains a matter of trial and error ...

when possible, music-wise one should try to separate the frequencies (i.e the range of notes) ...

this means designing the piano part with the problem in mind ...

as an example you might want to listen to Beethoven Cello Sonata N° 3 ... you see how the piano always contrives to keep out of the way of the cello ...

best

Livio

Adrian Allan said:

Thanks Livo - I listened to your music and loved it, so your opinion is highly regaded.

The mixing to me is not my forte - I could spend a lot more money and time on it, but I really just use it as a guide for players. But any suggestions are valued.

I suppose to separate the frequencies I would give the trombone one frequency graph shape on cubase (eg a high bottom and top) and the piano a different one (eg all the middle)?

New piece for trombone and piano
    Here is mix 2 - I have revised the score and given the trombone a few more places to breathe     Please tell me what you think of the piece. Thank…
  • Why do some people think that the mp3 playback is what is important? If the dynamics (another thread) are correct then the real performance should be okay as far as balance goes.

Can we please get away from worrying about mp3 or vst performances .

This reply was deleted.