Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Greetings fellow composers and posers alike just here presenting a piece i wrote lastweek . 

Open for discussion and critique.

https://soundcloud.com/jacob-ticli/reunite

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jacob,

Like Kjell I was reminded of the Adagietto (Mahler 5)... a very world-weary, rather bittersweet atmosphere, nicely sustained, and the percussion added some effective drama into the mix. I was also reminded more than a little of Keith Jarrett's In The Cave, In the Light, except without the piano. But the swelling and receding gestures in the strings were similar, without being too imitative (and I realize you might not even know the piece). Anyway, nicely done!

Agree, the sounds are nice; smooth string patches but it does need the visual. It comes over as an accompaniment to visuals of tranquillity - could be a succession of stills. It works less as a stand-alone audio piece except as a mood piece for relaxation - for 6 minutes it never changes tonal centre, the harmony just drifts around chords in C major (I'm guessing).

(A while ago I worked with an amateur movie-making group with a project far too big for its budget. So I can appreciate the difficulty turning incidental music into audio-only pieces when their project folded and I didn't want to waste the work.)

But this is an excellent start. As you say, we move on, learn, expand, so.... I look forward to your next work. 

Firstly id like to say thankyou and for the wonderful feedback and kind words, sorry it took me this long to reply im still working out how to navigate this forum and have missed some replies. I am not familiar with Keith Jarrett but will be sure to check this out as it will help me learn a thing or too im sure.

its comforting to know that im heading in the right direction and having it related to one of the best symphonies ive ever heard brings me much joy. 

Thankyou for listneing.       
Liz Atems said:

Hi Jacob,

Like Kjell I was reminded of the Adagietto (Mahler 5)... a very world-weary, rather bittersweet atmosphere, nicely sustained, and the percussion added some effective drama into the mix. I was also reminded more than a little of Keith Jarrett's In The Cave, In the Light, except without the piano. But the swelling and receding gestures in the strings were similar, without being too imitative (and I realize you might not even know the piece). Anyway, nicely done!

Thankyou Dane this is good feedback which i am implementing into my next piece. This  was actually a freestyle i did with the string patch then i added other elements to it to make it more complete. So yes C major was the key of this particular piece as it was the most comfortable key for me to play in. 

Thanks for the encouraging words tho i will keep you guys posted about my other works.

Dane Aubrun said:

Agree, the sounds are nice; smooth string patches but it does need the visual. It comes over as an accompaniment to visuals of tranquillity - could be a succession of stills. It works less as a stand-alone audio piece except as a mood piece for relaxation - for 6 minutes it never changes tonal centre, the harmony just drifts around chords in C major (I'm guessing).

(A while ago I worked with an amateur movie-making group with a project far too big for its budget. So I can appreciate the difficulty turning incidental music into audio-only pieces when their project folded and I didn't want to waste the work.)

But this is an excellent start. As you say, we move on, learn, expand, so.... I look forward to your next work. 

It's pretty, but it feels like background music. I dont' get an impression that it's saying something.

Yeah it basically is background music ill put my next piece up soon, should be more interesting than this one. 

Victor Eijkhout said:

It's pretty, but it feels like background music. I dont' get an impression that it's saying something.

Hi Jacob,

Nice job with the lush sounds here! The soundscape reminds me of a film in which the protagonist suddenly realizes what s/he has been missing all along. In terms of aural pleasantness, this is a real treat!

I am a bit critical of the unplanned-ness of the piece; it seems to amble with nothing really to drive it from one theme to the next. And, like Dane mentioned, we don't venture away from the tonal center at all. I'm curious to see how your compositional skills will evolve with time—you clearly know how to create delightful sounds. I'd like to see how you do with thematic development and shifting tonal centers.

Thanks for sharing! Best of luck!

Thankyou Jorfi for the feedback, you are correct that this wasnt very planned, it was a freestyle that i did with some string patches then added to, so it didnt really shift at all but yeah i thought it might be a good opener to get involved with some people and start conversations... looks as tho i have some people to critique and disscuss my work, which is invaluable and am thankful for. 

i am writing the next piece as we speak, this one will take abit more time especially with all the great feedback im getting  ill be able to make some educated decisions on what and where to go with it.

I love what you came up with as youre story for it!..  its enjoyable to hear what others see or feel when they listen to anothers work. 

Thanks again for listening and leaving a comment.

Jörfi Terríson said:

Hi Jacob,

Nice job with the lush sounds here! The soundscape reminds me of a film in which the protagonist suddenly realizes what s/he has been missing all along. In terms of aural pleasantness, this is a real treat!

I am a bit critical of the unplanned-ness of the piece; it seems to amble with nothing really to drive it from one theme to the next. And, like Dane mentioned, we don't venture away from the tonal center at all. I'm curious to see how your compositional skills will evolve with time—you clearly know how to create delightful sounds. I'd like to see how you do with thematic development and shifting tonal centers.

Thanks for sharing! Best of luck!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service