I am writing a orchestral piece in romantic style and I need some reviews on the orchestration. I uploaded the first part on my page (orchestral_first) and I attached the pdf.

I have very few time to do it (I began yesterday and I must finish it tomorrow, or if I can't monday) and it's my first orchestral work.

HELP !!

THANKS!!

Finale 2007c - [__TM__.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Having now read through the score I can see where you had some orchestration issues. Im going to go through each page and tell you tips and tricks I have learned from orchestration workshop, classes, and just general experience that you can do to improve upon it. I will do a little bit here and do the rest of my critics later.

Page one:

the slur marking needs to be changed for the cello, because that is suggesting that you want them to play that enitire line on one down bow, which if they try that will rob them of their sound.

You have a clear case of depending on your play back to much, I can tell based on what you did to your first violins. That would be inaudible if performed. One thing to remember with instruments, the more you divide the section the less power they have. A three part divis. is to much for one violin section. What you could do is have all the violins play two way divis, or even distribute the chord through the First and Second violins and the viola. They can all still play way under the cellos  no problem.

Page Two:

again your notation playback lied to you. You have a terribly unbalanced orchestration here. With only your first violins playing against four flutes and two cornets and a harp, the violins will be eaten alive by the sound from the winds. Remember, strings are not that loud. Suggestion to fix this:

Have the all the violins play in octaves from each other, with the first violins an octave higher. Or have the violins play in unison and reduces the how many winds are paying

• I do not have much time to read your score completely, there is something you may pay attention in my opinion:

1, It should be a Tempo for your score.

2, Measure no. 5 on 1st. Violin div.(three parts) is not balanced unless it is the way you want, especially you want the sound coming from left and you wanted the 1st.  Violin and 2nd. Violin seats opposite ( this is not normal for a orchestra on stage).

3, From the way you wrote the score.  measure no. 7 on 1st. Violin part 1 should be “stick up” if you do not want the part playing trill. Otherwise it should be like measure no. 5 and 6.

4, Measure no. 7 on 1st. Violin part 3 might be a canceled B, if it is not the way you want, you should put a flat B there to remind conductor and violin player, let people know you do want canceled B ( VC part) and flat B ( part 3 of 1st. violin) played in same time.

5, If your music will be fast ( I don't know the tempo), then the Harp on page 2 will not sounding beautifully since it could not vibrate completely ( repeat a same note too closely ).

6, For Clarinets on the 2nd. Measure of page 3, some notes are out of it's range(too high), and by the way, it is almost impossible to play ppp for clarinet to play in such range. Please do check it with someone who plays clarinet.

I do have some language barrier here as you could tell, wish you could understand what I mean.

Have fun and keep it up!

Tao

• Thanks! This is exactly the review I wanted. I will check it.

Measure no.5 : I want the violins to be just audible. Maybe I can play violin part 1 div. in 2 and half of violin part 2 for the third note.

@Tao : what do you mean by "stick up" the violins?

@Tyler : I know I follow to much notation playback. I read more than 2000 pages about orchestration, but now I've got to exercise.

Thanks again!!

And I think I will have only 2 flutes

And there are only 2 flutes, 2 clarinets.

• I'm interested in Tao's point about the clarinet ranges.

Not wanting to contradict him, I thought they were in range - any clarinet players out there?

• They were just a little bit too high tessclarinettebb.gif
  • I used a wrong word: For Clarinets on the 2nd. Measure of page 3, some notes are out of it's range(too high), and by the way, it is almost impossible to play ppp for clarinet to play in such range. Please do check it with someone who plays clarinet.

Let me change the For to From: From the 2nd. Measure of page 3 on Clarinets part, some notes are out of it's range(too high), and by the way, it is almost impossible to play ppp for clarinet to play in such range. Please do check it with someone who plays clarinet.

What I mean is start from 2nd measure of page 3 ...Please not only read this page but also next page on clarinet parts.

Adrian Allan said:

I'm interested in Tao's point about the clarinet ranges.

Not wanting to contradict him, I thought they were in range - any clarinet players out there?

• When you print the Fl. and Cl. parts, you will get four parts on Fl, and also four parts on Cl.

On the 7th measure: part I of the first violin "stick up", then you can use whole notes for the other two lower parts.

Bernard Duc said:

Thanks! This is exactly the review I wanted. I will check it.

Measure no.5 : I want the violins to be just audible. Maybe I can play violin part 1 div. in 2 and half of violin part 2 for the third note.

@Tyler : I know I follow to much notation playback. I read more than 2000 pages about orchestration, but now I've got to exercise.

Thanks again!!

• If you will have only 2 flutes and 2 clarinets, then how could a player play 2 notes in the same time? that's why people thinks that you are going to use 4 flutes and 4 clarinets.

Bernard Duc said:

Thanks! This is exactly the review I wanted. I will check it.

Thanks again!!

• Sorry. I forget to change it, it was a rough draft.

Tao Wen said:
    If you will have only 2 flutes and 2 clarinets, then how could a player play 2 notes in the same time? that's why people thinks that you are going to use 4 flutes and 4 clarinets.

Need some help for my first orchestral work!
    I am writing a orchestral piece in romantic style and I need some reviews on the orchestration. I uploaded the first part on my page (orchestral_firs…
This reply was deleted.