I am happy so far with the sound of this brass piece, but it has several key changes throughout. I don’t know when to use accidentals and when to change key signatures. I have put it all in Ab for now. 

Are there any guidelines/rules for this type of notation?

Any other comments will be welcome.

Thoughts please.

Campy

FLOURISH FUGUE 1 KEY 11.4.11.pdf

FLOURISH FUGUE 1 KEY 11.4.11.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Steve, I have written pages and pages of tonal music, and I have just given up with key signatures (even in the transposed instruments).  If one must modulate so frequently as I often do, I just use accidentals all the way.  As a former violinist in an orchestra, I find it easy to read and as a composer, I'm always aware of what key I'm in anyway.

However, if you do modulate to a distant key (for example, from B Major to F minor), use the #'s that are expected in B Major and likewise with flats in F minor.  With melody I stick to the rule that if I am ascending in scale, I use sharps, and if descending, I use flats.

For me, it works.  I hope it works for you.

About the piece.  There was some nice counterpoint in the second half, and it seems a shame that your audio production is so bad.  If you follow some of the discussions on this site, you may be able to pick up some nice samples for free from the net.  Good luck.

This reply was deleted.