At the beginning I would like to point out that I know how those scales works separately, but whenever i try to find some information/lessons/tutorial etc. about how to use them together i simply fail. 

What's the problem?

For example, let's say that i'm writing a piece in A minor and i want to end some part on V-I cadence,
I raise up G to G# in dominant chord to resolve on tonic, at this point everything seems to be ok (harmonically), but what to do, specially which notes to use when i want to add melody on top of that? Seems like I can't use notes from melodic scale when i'm going down because it will make a dissonance.

How about 6th chord (right now i can't use F# and G# while going up)

It goes like that with every chord other than tonic. 

So, can you provide me a good example to analyze (simply one) or describe me how to use them together? 

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Rafal,

There needn't be a problem.. You could change the scale (even momentarily) to accommodate the dominant (major) chord.. (G#)  or, depending on your  harmonic tendencies with re to dissonance,  you make like the tension (should you employ a G natural with the melody) it creates, which could be resolves by having it move from g down to f and then e - somewhat like a suspension.. 

Also, i would ask 'what does your ear tell you to do'?

• To be honest my ear doesn't telling me much, first I need to resolve my concerns (no pun intended) then i'm gonna practice (maybe that's wrong order).

I understand the concept of changing the scale, but I wasn't sure how freely i can apply it. Seem like it is ok to use
    E major for melody (easiest example) on that dominant chord in V-I cadence 

thanks for the reply

gregorio X said:

Hi Rafal,

There needn't be a problem.. You could change the scale (even momentarily) to accommodate the dominant (major) chord.. (G#)  or, depending on your  harmonic tendencies with re to dissonance,  you make like the tension (should you employ a G natural with the melody) it creates, which could be resolves by having it move from g down to f and then e - somewhat like a suspension.. 

Also, i would ask 'what does your ear tell you to do'?

Natural/melodic/harmonic minor scales, how to use them together?
    At the beginning I would like to point out that I know how those scales works separately, but whenever i try to find some information/lessons/tutoria…
  • Yes, and for any chord that you come up with, the same idea Can be applied, where the scale is modified to accommodate the notes in chord.. There are other options as well, where harmonic relations are further expanded.. that is, if the previously stated harmonic context, allows.  

This reply was deleted.