Hey guys, I thought that since I haven't really posted any music(YET!), I'd make some kind of contribution. So, I'm going to try to help some people out with orchestration.

Take this example: Orchestra: Violins, Violas, Celli, Flutes, Piccolos, Bassoons, and a Harpsichord. Not very exciting is it? Let's say the Violins, Flutes, and Bassoons were playing the melody(Team A), and the Violas and Piccolos were playing the accompaniment(Team B), and the Celli and Harpsichord were just playing arpeggios in the key the piece was in(Team C). Not very exciting, is it? Well, what if you added, say, Clarinets to Team A, Oboes to Team B, and Double Basses to Team C? Better? To make the orchestration better, you have to find instruments that are relatively quiet, yet loud enough for the audience to hear, and make the orchestra sound just as good, or better.

I don't know if I'm explaining this right, so if you need help with orchestration in one of your pieces, email me at hoodedpiainst@gmail.com, and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for reading, good luck, and happy composing!

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would love to hear an example of double basses doubling harp in arpeggios.

• Of real instruments?

Greg Brus said:

I would love to hear an example of double basses doubling harp in arpeggios.

My Orchestration Techniques
    Hey guys, I thought that since I haven't really posted any music(YET!), I'd make some kind of contribution. So, I'm going to try to help some people…
  • You know what? To help some people with this, you could often refer to this chart:

https://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/a-chart-for-all-orchest...

A Chart for all orchestrators (professional and would-be)
    Here is a chart i found that contains the general orchestral instruments, their range, what each part of their range sound like, some technical infor…
  • I know very little about orchestration (nothing really), but this seems like a rather simple approach to treating an orchestra. 

• Learning to orchestrate is a lifetime of eperience. You really can't know all that much at your tender age to advise others, unless you are a genius like Mozart.

• Not so sure I can agree with much of that either. I have a little experience at orchestrating music both my own and for other people and if there is one thing that I do know is that it is not a simple as you make it out to be. No such things as teams in my world. Colours and textures yes and these can be changed with careful regard to each instruments relationship to the others around them at that momnet in time in the music.

• How about writing a short piece, based on the instrumentation example you've described, to show us what you mean.

Then we can see what you are capable of.

• I'm writing the example starting now, give me about 1 hour.

• Of course real instruments, manipulating MIDI / VST / whatever to make something sound good isn't orchestration. Well, some may call it digital orchestration... it's a stupid name IMO :(

Hooded Pianist said:

Of real instruments?

Hey guys, I thought that since I haven't really posted any music(YET!), I'd make some kind of contribution. So, I'm going to try to help some people…
  • Well, unfortunately, I do not play either of those instruments, nor do I know anyone who does. I'm no help there. Sorry.

Greg Brus said:

Of course real instruments, manipulating MIDI / VST / whatever to make something sound good isn't orchestration. Well, some may call it digital orchestration... it's a stupid name IMO :(

Hooded Pianist said:

Of real instruments?

This reply was deleted.