My Lament - elegy for piano

In the last days I was working on this little elegy for piano. I call it My Lament. It starts rather sad , has some eruptions in the middle but resolves peacefully towards the end.

Unfortuneately I cannot record it easily like Saul by playing it on a  keyboard but have to edit every single note but now listening to it with my headphones I am quite happy with the result ...

www.gerdprengel.de/my_lament.mp3

www.gerdprengel.de/my_lament.pdf

Gerd

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• A wonderful piece, Gerd, exactly as you describe it and very well done entering it note by note.

Nothing to crit. As you say, the eruptions around the 2 minute mark do come as a surprise but fit in with the work well and the slight rallentando gives the end a peaceful conclusion. 

• Hi Gerd,

Really nice concept. I would like to say that I don't know why there are those sudden changes in mood and volume.

The piece started with a charming melody like a story and then unexpectedly there are those harsh or aggressive passages.

This works well if there is a build up to it, but out of nowhere they disturb the story telling side of the music.

I would have developed the melody even further and the introduction doesn't need to be repeated. It would work just fine to let the music progress naturally.

Regards 

• I recorded this piece again  with a new piano sound. I think it sounds much better now !

• Hi Gerd,

Thank you for sharing the score.

A clear writing, interesting harmonic usage, traditional material used innovatively.

I liked your appoggiatures at most.

Smooth flow from the beginning to the end.

'Enjoyable', a silent morning...

Congratulations.  Thank you for sharing.

Al  

• Hi Gerd,

This is certainly my favorite among the pieces of yours I have listened to, and is a definite departure from your normal approach. It is pretty, at times very much so. There are a few places here and there where you struck a few harmonic spots that I wondered if a stronger choice could have been made, but that may just reflect different tastes between you and I or perhaps on more listens (I listened to it twice) these might have grown on me. The whole piece is basically a repeated A format, and here I also wondered if a B section might have caused me to like it even more. But it's short enough that perhaps that is not necessary. Thanks for sharing!

Gav

This reply was deleted.