My first symphony

Hello everybody

I've finally completed my first symphony. I began working on it in 2017 and have finished a few weeks ago.

It's in four movements and I've had it played by Sibelius|Ultimate and Noteperformer 3.

The first movement does not follow the traditional sonata form; rather, I've decided to build each movement as a web of recurring motifs.

Any feedback is welcome - if the work is too long, I could also appreciate feedback on single movements, in case you do not have time to listen to the whole thing at once.

Enjoy

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank you for the feedback and all the kind words, Ingo.

Concerning my microtonal and minimalistic inspirations: that is true, there is no microtonality in this work. It simply would not have been consistent with its overall mood and structure. The second movement, instead, has a fair share of minimalism in it. I should say that, when I mentioned microtonality, I was thinking that I will soon have to approach it in my compositions :)) I'm still in a receptive phase, listening a lot to many different microtonal composers before trying my way into it.

Thank you again, have a nice weekend

Ingo Lee said:

Very impressive Valerio, your passion and commitment to the art form are obvious and your skills as well.  I only listened to the first movement due to time constraints but I look forward to hearing the complete work since I enjoyed the first movement very much. I liked especially your use of piano, letting it contribute on different levels without dominating as in concerto form. 

I noticed that you listed your interests as micro tonality and minimalism which we don't see here, perhaps those styles are used in the movements I have yet to listen to.   Good work!

My first symphony
    Hello everybody I've finally completed my first symphony. I began working on it in 2017 and have finished a few weeks ago. It's in four movements and…
This reply was deleted.