Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

So this is my first real stab at an orchestral piece.  I picture the great creator playing God in his toy room ; )  I call it "Soul Damned People" Im new to orchestral writing and approached this like I was writing any other midi music. In other words, I did everything wrong. There are composition and mixing issues I need to address in areas. Also, Im having trouble with my choir plugin 8dio Liberis. the patch seems to crater when pushed so I apologize if the choirs seem harsh in places. I look forward to your input!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ixZDf_IiWipG3o199AiJFlFMxUvudr73/v...

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Sean,

I can hardly add to others here. It's an interesting work and first effort? (I agree with Ingo here) a damned good effort, first or not!. It seems to cross with what I regard as 'light music' and you seem to have achieved a remarkable blend. Plenty of energy. Some very interesting and clever scoring and I love your handling of the voice. 

The balance between the orchestral parts is fine, the 'episodic proportions' I suppose I mean the way you join groups of phrases together balances well.

Altogether a pleasurable listen. You....are well on your way.

There may be final touch ups if you leave it a while but this is definitely one for the folio.

Well done indeed.

All good wishes.

Hi Sean,

You are but another example of why I'm quite chuffed to be part of this forum, as a new member. It's great to be in the company of composers more talented than me; it will only push me to do better.

I'll give you a compliment fitting with the name of your score: Bloody hell it's good. Barring the obvious issues, which you have pointed out, it's easy to rest the critical ear for a piece like this; where emotions take the reins and give me an easy listening ride of pure enjoyment and wonder.

Well done!

All the best

Sean, I have listened to this multiple times, and find it to be a thoroughly enjoyable madcap romp, from the key winding that starts everything to the bubbly synth as things wind down near the end! I love how you drive the piece forward with the rhythmic instruments and the quirky string lines, and then contrast things so wonderfully with the smoothness of the choir and harp parts. This keeps my interest well from beginning to end. Magnificent job!

Dane,

This means a lot coming from you as I'm blown away by the stuff you've posted on this forum. So a little background, Im a self taught keyboard player and have been playing and writing songs and grooves for about 15 years, mainly funk, fusion and rock. In the past I have dabbled with instruments of the orchestra in recordings but this piece is my first real attempt at doing something purely orchestral. Also, people know me as Sean- "the very talented video editor" (a talent I actually despise, a blessing and a curse) which is my day job so part of that OCD is carrying over into this piece. I've always secretly dreamed of doing orchestral composition but I guess I just always felt insecure and inferior because I have no education in music besides what I've discovered by experimenting on my own. I didn't grow up learning music and I never picked up an instrument until I was 20 years old. Also, Ive never been around people in this field, no mentors, no guidance, no friends to compete and share with. I'm in a phase of rediscovering myself and this forum has opened me to a new world of possibility. Reading this feedback makes me want to drop everything right now and go write more haha. Its exciting as hell to hear someone out there likes your music. Thanks for the boost! I cant wait to hear your next work. I'm actually coincidentally writing a waltz and btw I loved yours! Mine is an attempt at something more traditional in the vein of Tchaikovsky or Strauss. I hope to be posting it soon.

Dane Aubrun said:

Hi, Sean,

I can hardly add to others here. It's an interesting work and first effort? (I agree with Ingo here) a damned good effort, first or not!. It seems to cross with what I regard as 'light music' and you seem to have achieved a remarkable blend. Plenty of energy. Some very interesting and clever scoring and I love your handling of the voice. 

The balance between the orchestral parts is fine, the 'episodic proportions' I suppose I mean the way you join groups of phrases together balances well.

Altogether a pleasurable listen. You....are well on your way.

There may be final touch ups if you leave it a while but this is definitely one for the folio.

Well done indeed.

All good wishes.

Man, I'm absolutely humbled. I had no idea I would get this kind of response and was actually bracing for the impact of   criticism from the forum. Your words inspire me and absolutely made my day. Thank you so much! 

Tarun Prajapat said:

Hi Sean,

You are but another example of why I'm quite chuffed to be part of this forum, as a new member. It's great to be in the company of composers more talented than me; it will only push me to do better.

I'll give you a compliment fitting with the name of your score: Bloody hell it's good. Barring the obvious issues, which you have pointed out, it's easy to rest the critical ear for a piece like this; where emotions take the reins and give me an easy listening ride of pure enjoyment and wonder.

Well done!

All the best

I love the way you characterize it haha! The whole experience really was like a spontaneous dive in to play, kind of like a kid in a sandbox. I think its entertaining because its keeps moving and changing not looking back. My severe ADHD causes me to keep changing channels, like hardly any idea in this returns except for what I call "the lazy cat section" with the children's choir, that's the part at the middle and very end. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope to have more up soon. Thanks so much for the encouragement!

James Gilmour said:

Sean, I have listened to this multiple times, and find it to be a thoroughly enjoyable madcap romp, from the key winding that starts everything to the bubbly synth as things wind down near the end! I love how you drive the piece forward with the rhythmic instruments and the quirky string lines, and then contrast things so wonderfully with the smoothness of the choir and harp parts. This keeps my interest well from beginning to end. Magnificent job!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service