Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

So this is my first real stab at an orchestral piece.  I picture the great creator playing God in his toy room ; )  I call it "Soul Damned People" Im new to orchestral writing and approached this like I was writing any other midi music. In other words, I did everything wrong. There are composition and mixing issues I need to address in areas. Also, Im having trouble with my choir plugin 8dio Liberis. the patch seems to crater when pushed so I apologize if the choirs seem harsh in places. I look forward to your input!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ixZDf_IiWipG3o199AiJFlFMxUvudr73/v...

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For a first effort, or any effort for that matter, this is great Sean. Good ideas and orchestration, well produced.  It reminds me of the '60's sound tracks for caper films which is a genre I've always liked.  Composers then were influenced by modern classical and jazz and they had access to great musicians and recording facilities. Not like today where everything has to be epic or emo. Good stuff!

Man, thank you! I needed that. I've had a rough time and have been struggling in life. This really made my day. I dont know that I'm familiar with the genre you're talking about but I am heavily influenced by Chick Corea, Weather Report and Miles Davis. I'd Also, throw the Beatles, Antonio Carlos jobim and Holst into that bag. Thanks for your compliments!

The genre I'm thinking of is not the pop music of the sixties like on the film 'Easy Rider' but the cool stuff of Lalo Schifrin and Gil Evans. And Miles Davis fits right in there.

very nice and evolving by the second... I was reminded of movies like "Edward scissorhands" and "A series of unfortunately events". for a first piece it deserve much praise.

Thanks 8! Yea I thought the intro like has a Danny Elfman feel for sure. I appreciate for your feedback!

that shit is dope.. Yea right up my alley. I don't know a lot about Lalo but have heard his name and music a few times. He's definitely 100% an inspiration. Im going to listen to some of his stuff today.

Ingo Lee said:

The genre I'm thinking of is not the pop music of the sixties like on the film 'Easy Rider' but the cool stuff of Lalo Schifrin and Gil Evans. And Miles Davis fits right in there.

It's definitely old school. You mentioned Miles Davis, here he is (pre electric) with a Gil Evans orchestra piece.

Very well done, Sean.

The mix is somewhat 'special' and not classical at all, but it offers a very special effect to the musical content. The sound of the strings is really good. The flute is a little poor in the legato passage (near the end). I guess there's too much attack to build a fluent and coherent legato (slur).  But for the rest, a fantastic job. The choir is outstanding too.

Jos

yea flutes need some attention there.  Honestly that was a part I played early on and never got back to to tweaking the articulations. Im going to keep working on this. The mix was tricky as certain instruments just wouldn't cut through the way I wanted so I had to abandon the traditional orchestral placement and bring some things up front and center or panned hard left hard right etc. In other words I ended up producing it like a rock song haha. This is probably due to composition issues. Im early in learning how these instruments blend together and their placement in a hall. Your feedback is really helpful. Thanks!! 

SICK

Ingo Lee said:

It's definitely old school. You mentioned Miles Davis, here he is (pre electric) with a Gil Evans orchestra piece.

Hi Sean,

Congratulations.  Mind blowing music...

My teacher had told me once, 'when you finish school you shall forget everything you have learned at the school!'

So there is nothing wrong or right I guess.  

One point here is: Where do you go from here? It seems it needs a slow movement...  This is something like a Scherzo.

A slow before this. An adagio then. And here comes the Scherzo. etc.. may be.

Thank you for sharing this.

Ciao.

Ali

Exactly! I actually wrote a slow moving melancholy piece on harp that directly follows this. Its beautiful and spacious but I haven't orchestrated it yet so I left it out. This definitely would benefit from some valleys to accompany the massive peak. Thanks for the compliment Ali!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service