My best piece to date ?????

Hi All
Not been around here much lately....(too much work .....etc). However have just uploaded Et Incarnatus, as the potential fourth movt of 'The Mass' which I intend to complete by about 2050.
I would welcome any comments and suggestions (yes I know it's not a real choir .....yet ..... but it does give the feel for the piece).
Thank you

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The beginning, as you obviously know, is almost identical to the Faure requiem.

From then on, it's a worthy successor to the Faure with some very nice chord progressions indeed, especially the interrupted cadences. Look forward to seeing the sheet music.
  • Andy, this is gorgeous. I'd go out and buy it now. The chord progressions are ingenious, and sound lovely in repetition. It's something I don't want to listen to too often because the unexpected nature of the next chord is what really makes this piece. Sometimes, I tear my hair out at night trying to compose good chord progressions and it's very rare I get it, but when I do, I know immediately.

It's that cello crescendoing a tone at the beginning that brings Faure's requiem to mind (and the harp, maybe). Otherwise, I would say the style is your own.

Excellent work, really good.
  • This is the bit that I thought sounded very similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkbUgxO9cHI&feature=related
  • There were two bits that sounded like Faure's Requiem. The very beginning (of both pieces) on the cello, and the harp arpeggios.

Adrian Allan said:
    This is the bit that I thought sounded very similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkbUgxO9cHI&feature=related
    Hi All Not been around here much lately....(too much work .....etc). However have just uploaded Et Incarnatus, as the potential fourth movt of 'The M…
  • Thank you guys for your compliments.....I'm quite flattered ..... so to speak. Yes you're quite right the cellos and basses in the first few bars are similar to the Faure .....in fact I pointed that out to my other half a few days ago. However the horn and oboe are somewhat different to the choral oversung passage at that point. The harp is just an arppegio figure which I agree is reminiscent of the organ accompaniment in the Faure which in fact gave me the idea from my distant memory of when I sung it as a chorister. I needed to use the harp to maintain some movement to drive the music along with the tempo being what it is but wanted to maintain that tempo to carry the ethereal boys voices.
    It's good to get someone to hear it and I very much appreciate your time in listening to it and commenting. I' will return the favour as soon as I have a little more time.

How's the Spirit of the Stour Simon, did you do an more work on it..... I still have the mix I started for you on my computer. Good to be back. I have the Credo which I've not uploaded yet but will try to get round to it in the next week or so. Good to be back.
    Thanks again
    Andy S
    http://voices.It/
  • Hi Andy,

Just listened to it again (Jesus, I wish I'd written it). What's really good about it is it's potential anthemic qualities. You could use the same progression at the end of the mass with a full scale SATB chorus blasting it out with the organ and strings at top notch. (Just an idea, sorry. I'm treating it like one of my tunes).

It's funny you should mention "Spirit of the Stour". I'd shelved it for a good 18 months (in the meantime, I've written a full length symphony and various other pieces including the beginning of a full Requiem Mass (of which I've just uploaded). It is so difficult to mix. Just listen to that horrendous recording I've just posted up. I was so absorbed with changing the tone of the instruments when they were changing dynamics with various filters and whatnot, my ears got completely drenched and that was the result. I liked your EWQLSO mix, but the problem with "Spirit of the Stour" is that there are so many instruments playing different things at the same time, that EWQLSO's convolution reverb gets multiplied again and again until it sounds as if it's being played in a cave (I believe your second mix of it was much improved as you took a lot of it out, although I'm not sure how, as it's natural reverb). I was even foolish enough to believe that this would be the case with any composition that was laid down with EWQLSO. I've come to realise now that it is the nature of the piece, not the programme. Don't get me wrong, "Spirit of the Stour" does work really well on real instruments if you hear it live. I've actually conducted it and it's been very successfully performed.

Anyway, I need to get a decent recording of it by the end of the month as I'm entering it in a competition (hence the availability of the printed score that I've been labouring over for the last two weeks), so I'll just crack on with it. Since we last spoke, I've got HALion Symphony Orchestra (great strings with X-fade capabilities), but the wind is better on Miroslav in fairness. Miroslav's different velocity layers on the brass makes it possible to make your own X-fades but it's a lot of work (you can hear me doing that on the introduction of the 1st movement of my symphony). I've also got Finale now, because I'm going to be sending my scores off very shortly (notation is a long hard slog), and it took me about a year before I was comfortable with it. In the interim, I managed to get hold of a cheap version of Notion 3 which was a real disappointment. Notion 3 is a composing programme (joint notation programme with playback capabilities) with samples from the LSO recorded at Abbey Road, but I wouldn't hold your breath, they're not very well recorded, and although the notation facility is very user-friendly and slick, it doesn't do half the things that Finale can do. It doesn't even optimise your score (exclude systems on pages with empty bars), which is no good to me. Finale has playback capabilities as well with Garritan Personal Orchestra, but I don't use it. There's no control over the music like there is with a proper sequencer like Cubase. Anyway, it's Christmas in 5 months time, so I'll probably ask my dad for EWQLSO Silver (or even Gold maybe, if there's a special deal on). It's either that or Kontakt 4 (which has the Vienna Symphony Orchestra samples on it). Then my music will really sing, hopefully.

Anyway, it's great to hear you're back. If that mix of "Stour" that you have is any good, as time is getting low, I'd be interested to hear it. Maybe do a deal, if there's any stuff you want notating (I'm a bit of dab hand at Finale now).

Cheers anyway for now, and thanks for sharing that music. It really is good.

Simon

Andy Schofield said:
    Thank you guys for your compliments.....I'm quite flattered ..... so to speak. Yes you're quite right the cellos and basses in the first few bars are similar to the Faure .....in fact I pointed that out to my other half a few days ago. However the horn and oboe are somewhat different to the choral oversung passage at that point. The harp is just an arppegio figure which I agree is reminiscent of the organ accompaniment in the Faure which in fact gave me the idea from my distant memory of when I sung it as a chorister. I needed to use the harp to maintain some movement to drive the music along with the tempo being what it is but wanted to maintain that tempo to carry the ethereal boys voices.
    It's good to get someone to hear it and I very much appreciate your time in listening to it and commenting. I' will return the favour as soon as I have a little more time.How's the Spirit of the Stour Simon, did you do an more work on it..... I still have the mix I started for you on my computer. Good to be back. I have the Credo which I've not uploaded yet but will try to get round to it in the next week or so. Good to be back.
    Thanks again
    Andy S
    Hi All Not been around here much lately....(too much work .....etc). However have just uploaded Et Incarnatus, as the potential fourth movt of 'The M…
This reply was deleted.