Musical songs

About two years ago I wrote a musical, The Christmas Story, and am now just getting around to editing and making an acceptable score. Here are two songs from act I. If Socrates is Shakespeare, I'm more like Suess. I'm mostly interested in your opinion on the lyrics and story line. Does it make sense? Is it entertaining? Funny? All comments are welcome. I've also included the full score.

To set the scene: Angel Gabriel has just announced to Zachariah that he would have a son. Zachariah doubts it, given that his wife Elizabeth is very old. Because of his disbelief he is struck dumb. Zachariah tries to communicate with the people through signs which turns into a game of charades.

https://soundcloud.com/larya/but-that-will-never-happen

But That Will Never Happen Vocals pdf..pdf

But That Will Never Happen.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hello Lawrence, I will try to read the lyrics later, but the tune to my ear sounds a lot like the children's song "My hat, it has three corners." Do you agree? Since many people, maybe most famously Jean-Baptiste Arban (who used it as the basis for the Variations on the Carnaval of Venice: https://youtu.be/fAHDMI6AJI0), I think you are more than justified to have your own variations. :)

From wikipedia:

Many variations on the theme have been written, most notably those by Jean-Baptiste ArbanDel StaigersHerbert L. Clarke for the cornet, trumpet, and euphonium, Francisco Tárrega and Johann Kaspar Mertz for classical guitar, Ignace Gibsone and Louis Moreau Gottschalk for piano, and Giovanni Bottesini for double bass. Chopin's "Souvenir de Paganini", dedicated to the composer and violin virtuoso Niccolò Paganini, is another variation on this theme. The popular novelty song, "(How Much Is) That Doggie in the Window?", written and recorded in 1952, is based on the tune. A more recent piece making use of the theme, by Allen Vizzutti, called "The Carnival of Venus," is regarded as one of the most difficult trumpet pieces ever written due to range and technical demands.

• Manfred,

You are right, it does sound similar, though it never crossed my mind.  I was simply trying to match music to words.  I wrote the poetry, such as it is, first.

• Anyway, it is a variation, not really the same. And as far as variations on this theme go, you are in excellent company. 

I've liked several of your dance themes and their fun developments.

Lawrence Aurich said:

Manfred,

You are right, it does sound similar, though it never crossed my mind.  I was simply trying to match music to words.  I wrote the poetry, such as it is, first.

Musical songs
    About two years ago I wrote a musical, The Christmas Story, and am now just getting around to editing and making an acceptable score. Here are two so…
  • Hi Lawrence,

Although I tend to stay away from lyrics derived from biblical stories (especially from the new testament which I believe are made up Christian stories rather than traditional Jewish myths), I find you lyrics humorous and entertaining for the intended light-hearted (?) musical. The imagery is quite vivid, the rhymes sonorous and well chosen, and the iambic 4meter that you adopt can deliver them with the emphasis kept on strong syllables. To that I add the 6/8 rhythm which is one of the best for giving vent to such tetrameters imo, and the whole thing fits together and makes musical sense.

Although the opening few bars did remind me of the "Carnival of Venice" tune, I note that you change your melody very quickly and bring it where you want, so it is not to me even a set of variations in the normal sense, but something more original.

All in all, I find the whole thing well-conceived as a humorous sequence of scenes, but the appearance and attitude of Gabriel gives me a feel of heaviness (he would be the Killjoy, wouldn't he?)

Thanks for sharing

• As it turns out, Gabriel is the narrator throughout.  He sets the scenes and has all the recitatives.  Thanks for the comments.

Socrates Arvanitakis said:

Hi Lawrence,

Although I tend to stay away from lyrics derived from biblical stories (especially from the new testament which I believe are made up Christian stories rather than traditional Jewish myths), I find you lyrics humorous and entertaining for the intended light-hearted (?) musical. The imagery is quite vivid, the rhymes sonorous and well chosen, and the iambic 4meter that you adopt can deliver them with the emphasis kept on strong syllables. To that I add the 6/8 rhythm which is one of the best for giving vent to such tetrameters imo, and the whole thing fits together and makes musical sense.

Although the opening few bars did remind me of the "Carnival of Venice" tune, I note that you change your melody very quickly and bring it where you want, so it is not to me even a set of variations in the normal sense, but something more original.

All in all, I find the whole thing well-conceived as a humorous sequence of scenes, but the appearance and attitude of Gabriel gives me a feel of heaviness (he would be the Killjoy, wouldn't he?)

Thanks for sharing

Musical songs
    About two years ago I wrote a musical, The Christmas Story, and am now just getting around to editing and making an acceptable score. Here are two so…
  • Manfred,

I think the similarities lie in the fact that both tunes are very simple.  I use the same melody twice for each verse of which there are six, twelve times, yikes.  So I made a few changes to the scheme of two movements down then one up followed by two up then one down.  Thanks for you astute observation.

Manfred Goop said:

Anyway, it is a variation, not really the same. And as far as variations on this theme go, you are in excellent company. 

Lawrence Aurich said:

Manfred,

But That Will Never Happen redo.mp3

Musical songs
  •   I envision Gabriel as a big black guy with a booming bass voice.  Zachariah is an old Jewish guy with white hair and beard.   The scene previous to this is the villager's cotillion.  On the left side of the stage the villagers do pinwheels and doe si does.  On the right side of the stage Gabriel and Zachariah are doing the same dance.

Thanks for sharing

Musical songs
  • Lawrence,  It's a nice revised piece, with a certain gaiety and whimsy. I thought it was fine even when there was a clear similarity to the age-old tune of the three-pointed hat.

On the lyrics I can't comment since I just don't relate to them. 

I enjoyed the music, though.

Lawrence Aurich said:

Manfred,

I think the similarities lie in the fact that both tunes are very simple.  I use the same melody twice for each verse of which there are six, twelve times, yikes.  So I made a few changes to the scheme of two movements down then one up followed by two up then one down.  Thanks for you astute observation.

Manfred Goop said:

Anyway, it is a variation, not really the same. And as far as variations on this theme go, you are in excellent company. 

Lawrence Aurich said:

Manfred,

Musical songs
This reply was deleted.