Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

We use the term "musical impressionism" most often in reference to Debussy and his ilk. But how well does this term translate from the world of art? And, for that matter, what exactly is impressionism in art? We all know it when we see it, but what exactly is the official definition? And then, how well does this term apply to music? And why do we say Debussy is impressionistic, but Hindemith is not?

Views: 1263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With all due respect, it falls into no genera of art that I am familiar with.

Saul Dzorelashvili said:

Just a question...

I did this painting using photoshop and painter, this is an original digital painting, what genera of art would this fit?

Impressionism, by using pointillism...?

Saul Dzorelashvili said:

Just a question...

I did this painting using photoshop and painter, this is an original digital painting, what genera of art would this fit?

lol

The digital painting is obviously an example of Post-Non-Expressionistic, Anti-Realist, Semi-Abstract, Quasi-Neo-Fauvism.

What else could it be?

Getting back to the question at hand, though, in what way are the Musical Impressionists different from the most prominent Fauvist composers?

Saul Dzorelashvili said:

Just a question...

Very Nice Ondib!

Not sure what musical fauvism is.

Always liked Vermeer, Dali, also Magritte and Goya (esp. Saturn is devouring his children). also love Dutch Masters Cigars.

Yes, Sibelius (the actual composer) almost died from them.

Darius Milhaud's 1st and 2nd chamber symphonies have been cited by some as examples of "musical fauvism."

Darius Milhaud: Chamber symphony No.1, Op.43 (1917)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJKziU8yEt4

While we are also touching on the subject of "schools of painting" and art, in relation to music, we may as well consider musical "Dada," and musical "Surrealism."

Who is the greatest musical "Dadaist," of the early 20th century, if not Erik Satie?

"Parade" is a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOz2dKdh4kI

michael diemer said:

Not sure what musical fauvism is.

Always loved those three gymnopeds.. gymnopods.. those beautiful three mood pieces for piano, which Debussy orchestrated to great effect. I was wondering if Satie would have been a fauvist, actually. Now we're into Dada and surrealism. Where would Ives fit?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service