Replies

• sorry, forgot the SoundCloud link

• Stefan,

Both link to sound cloud.

Tell us a little about this piece, and your goals and background.

Personally, I'm not a fan of most piano music. So I'd rather comment on how I think you succeeded in getting your message across. I know I should be able to do that on my own, but since I have the composer right here, I like to ask. them.

• Are you loking for feedback Stefan? 

• Hi Bob,

there are 19 tracks at this link, btw. many of them not piano. The pieces are quite different in their message.

The one called XII for instance was an early work, which I rediscovered and posted because I still like it. It it is calm and light and tells us about thoughts and feelings which may have crossed my mind on a bright spring noon.

Ann C Dee on the other hand is one my last compositions. Here I tried a particular technique, top down composition with stepwise refinement, freezing the harmony for several measures and working extensively with non chord tones.

Among the Waves is a song with lyrics by my son Niko.

Aviation is a synthesizer jam session.

• yes, please, feedback is always welcome, from any point of view.

Charles Holt said:

Are you loking for feedback Stefan? 

Music Gallery
    Pictures and music tracks. For looking and listening.
  • polarizing question: what's the track you like best, what's the track you dislike most?

• Hi Stefan, I have listened to several of your pieces on SoundCloud.  It sounds like they are all improvised at the keyboard, probably without edits or overdubs.  So there are good ideas and interesting parts but they don't seem to lead anywhere, they kind of make a short statement and then jump to another short, often unrelated statement. There is nothing wrong with this approach but it limits the appeal of your ideas, and it doesn't hold my attention.

I like a lot of modern music including electronic based music and I think I would like yours better if you would develop your ideas more.  You could do this by either editing or scoring out your improvisations to give them a continuous thread that develops and leads us through a piece, kind of like telling a story does. You could also do overdubs that harmonize, enhance or contrast with your previous tracks to give your listeners more substance. This could be done in a non-directed ambient fashion that doesn't provide a thread of continuity but instead gives us an evolving landscape to enjoy. Also you could take a pop approach and have a repeating drum or synth part to tie things together.

Just some suggestions.

• Ingo,

thank you for listening and for your kind advice!

What you write is so far clear to me and I will try to apply the suggestions.

Only one sentence I could not fully understand: "This could be done in a non-directed ambient fashion that doesn't provide a thread of continuity but instead gives us an evolving landscape to enjoy." Could you try explain that a little further?

best regards

Stefan

• That was not a good sentence Stefan, let me try again. 

I was talking about different ways to think about composing and of course there are many. I suggested two ways; the first would be to think of a composition as being a story or novel. Each part of the story must be connected with the other parts for the story to make sense. So the composer states motifs or themes that develop and relate to each other in order to hold the listeners attention, just like a story teller would. 

The second way to think of a composition would be to have it paint a picture. You could think of ambient music as being this type of composition. I suggested overdubbing different layers to give the picture different colors and meanings. So the bad sentence tries to explain the difference between the story and the painting as the story having a direction and thread of continuity while the painting has layers that evolve into a more stationary landscape.

Hope that helps!

Stefan Welebny said:

Ingo,

Only one sentence I could not fully understand: "This could be done in a non-directed ambient fashion that doesn't provide a thread of continuity but instead gives us an evolving landscape to enjoy." Could you try explain that a little further?

best regards

Stefan

Music Gallery
  • wow, that "painting" approach is a new idea for me. I will try that one.

Until now I have used two process models:

1. Forward in the time line, step by step from the intro to the coda (sometimes with particular topics in mind, sometimes without).

2. Top down composition with stepwise refinement. Here I am starting with the progression and refine it more and more.

In the first approach l often fail to connect motives and themes sufficiently, because for me they are connected, but not for the audience, and I fail to identify the places which are problematic for the audience.

In the second approach it is much more easy, almost automatic, to keep the flow, but it is difficult to add what you called layers.

Ingo Lee said:

That was not a good sentence Stefan, let me try again. 

I was talking about different ways to think about composing and of course there are many. I suggested two ways; the first would be to think of a composition as being a story or novel. Each part of the story must be connected with the other parts for the story to make sense. So the composer states motifs or themes that develop and relate to each other in order to hold the listeners attention, just like a story teller would. 

The second way to think of a composition would be to have it paint a picture. You could think of ambient music as being this type of composition. I suggested overdubbing different layers to give the picture different colors and meanings. So the bad sentence tries to explain the difference between the story and the painting as the story having a direction and thread of continuity while the painting has layers that evolve into a more stationary landscape.

Hope that helps!

Stefan Welebny said:

Ingo,

best regards

Stefan

Music Gallery
This reply was deleted.