Music for opening titles

I thought I turn my hand to a television theme. The music would be to 30 seconds title sequence of a military orientated series. I'm happy with my general ideas, but it seems to lack punch. Opinions? What if I added a higher octave of horns or continued the harp (which may have been masked in the mp3 encoding)? Any suggestions/comments welcome.

02 Same War, Different Day.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This has great potential, i see what you mean by lack of punch. have you tried using a full brass section? Tuba, Trombone (in 3 part chords) Trumpet (also in chords) french horn (in 4 part chords) another thing you could do is use staccato strings to accentuate the percussion parts. the "dun-dun" on the timpani could be doubled on the violin at mid register (or even high register) your percussion sounds are very good! my advice would be to listen to lots of hanz zimmer, and also check out the score to mahlers 5th symphony, you can find it on imslp.org.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1BHmPhZwpY

this is pretty cool...

• I've altered the horns and added some staccato violas, but I didn't want to get too high a register as I though it might ruin the feel. I was also concious of having the horns high in the mix at expense of the percussion. Have a listen tom, and any anyone else, and tell me what you think.

And I do really like Zimmers scores - listening to Inception in 5.1 is simply awesome

• I agree with tom, this has great potential. I don't think you need more punch. Since this is the opening for a military series, I think the percussion you have right now is good. Inception is another story=) However you could try adding another snare drum doing some contra-rhythms - making it sound more military-ish. Maybe you could also try adding a theme melody on the trumpet. Right now the music fits a scene better than an intro theme. I think I would add a more clear melody.

• Like Daniel said, a clear, recognizable melody would be great, played on the trumpet or french horn. You want TV viewers to be able to hum the tune/have the tune in their head after watching the show!

Daniel Beijbom said:

I agree with tom, this has great potential. I don't think you need more punch. Since this is the opening for a military series, I think the percussion you have right now is good. Inception is another story=) However you could try adding another snare drum doing some contra-rhythms - making it sound more military-ish. Maybe you could also try adding a theme melody on the trumpet. Right now the music fits a scene better than an intro theme. I think I would add a more clear melody.

Music for opening titles
    I thought I turn my hand to a television theme. The music would be to 30 seconds title sequence of a military orientated series. I'm happy with my ge…
  • While I agree that a catchy melody can make a theme, I'm finding it hard to think of something catchy that would fit with what I already have. If I use the melody I already have and clarify it with a french horn, I think it has greater impact.

I'm concious that I'm moving further away from my original idea - sure it now sounds bigger and brighter and something you'd expect to find in the Modern Warefare 3 soundtrack, but I was going for something less... I don't know, foolhardy. I want the piece to conform, in a way, to other pieces of the genre but still have an air of loss. Maybe that comes across in my choice of melodies... I suppose I could develop these ideas in other pieces which isolate each emotion.

My latest alterations below:

Same War, Different Day (Alt).mp3

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/8608073283?profile=original
  • Hearing the cluster of horns reminds me of the main theme from the TV show Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp0T6zYByM). A large part of DS9 deals with war, which is suggested by the prominent brass section. The trumpets play the main theme in a register above the horn section, which brings it out clearly.

If you want to work with what you already have, I suggest reworking the entire brass section as right now it is saturating the entire middle spectrum of the music, obscuring the melody/theme. If you want sustained horns, perhaps having the lower register ones do that, like the tuba/trombone. This will leave space in the middle range for one or more french horns to play the theme.

Just a couple of suggestions.

• yep matthew has the right idea. think about foreground/background/middleground like a painter. think about which elements of your piece need to be in the foreground, and make them REally in the foreground. ^the star trek theme above (which is awesome!) is basically a french horn solo. with accompaniment.
This reply was deleted.