Replies

• Thanks for the info. I've downloaded it. I don't know if it'll do all I want yet. I haven't worked with notation software so the next tasks will be importing files and editing!

I dare say that'll occupy a couple of days! 

• Except for playback, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Dane.

The MuseScore-Reaper combo works well, eg. via XML.

Best

PS It's actually version 3.6

• Thanks John, did you mean MuseScore 3.6?

• Yes, 3.6 (on the Web Site forum people refer to it as 6)

Gav Brown said:

Thanks John, did you mean MuseScore 3.6?

MuseScore 6
    MuseScore 6, a new version with improved fonts and many improved formatting features, is now available at MuseScore.org.
  • Well, some degree of headache is inevitable with new software interactions like these and all I can assume is that the Reaper notation has to be pretty accurate. I found out how to load in a "corrupted" XML file...Reaper isn't always honest about how it transcribes to a notation view.... but got there in the end. 4 1/2 hours. One piece kept crashing - nine crashes in all. I'll sort it out in the end but, oh boy, have I got work to do to get these things into shape!

I'm consoled that I doubt any other notation software would behave differently!

Ha! When I tried loading a midi file it came up with some pretty weird stuff. Changed the key signature from C maj to G flat major, altered the tempo, time signature and first bar, and bracketed staves together in 2s assigning each pair to a piano which I couldn't change from the box at the bottom. No doubt there's a way and I'll find it sooner or later.

Fabio Biolcati said:

Except for playback, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Dane.

The MuseScore-Reaper combo works well, eg. via XML.

Best

PS It's actually version 3.6

MuseScore 6
    MuseScore 6, a new version with improved fonts and many improved formatting features, is now available at MuseScore.org.
  • Sorry to hear the approach resulting in a mess, Dane.

I suggest you to quantize everything before going from Reaper to MuseScore (or any other notation environment), because XML will take content as wtitten. Mostly the same with MIDI (eg. Notion adds a continuous string of 64ths — or even 128ths? — at keyswitch pitch to allow playback be hooked to proper articulation at any place), so I prefer XML.

Must say my workflow is notation —> daw, so things appear more tidy and streamlined in this case.
    For many reasons (inability first), meter changes are frequent in my works and they transfer seamlessly. Same for tempo changes (I often map them in notation, approximately, at least). I find it a lot easier than insert them in DAW.

Unfortunately, MuseScore doesn't support VST, maybe in v.4, and included sounds are awful, so you have to use all your imagination if you need feedback while composing. But printed results are really good. Text handling is also really flexible (I use it for lead sheets too).

I'm sure the more you'll get confident, the more you will it a useful tool.

Cheers

• To be fair, MuseScore was never really meant to produce professional-level sound files; it's basically a notation program, with audio capabilities meant to give a "rough draft" of the music.  I recommend it highly for notation, but prospective users should be aware that it doesn't try to be a professional-level DAW.

Fabio Biolcati said:

Sorry to hear the approach resulting in a mess, Dane.

I suggest you to quantize everything before going from Reaper to MuseScore (or any other notation environment), because XML will take content as wtitten. Mostly the same with MIDI (eg. Notion adds a continuous string of 64ths — or even 128ths? — at keyswitch pitch to allow playback be hooked to proper articulation at any place), so I prefer XML.

Must say my workflow is notation —> daw, so things appear more tidy and streamlined in this case.
    For many reasons (inability first), meter changes are frequent in my works and they transfer seamlessly. Same for tempo changes (I often map them in notation, approximately, at least). I find it a lot easier than insert them in DAW.

Unfortunately, MuseScore doesn't support VST, maybe in v.4, and included sounds are awful, so you have to use all your imagination if you need feedback while composing. But printed results are really good. Text handling is also really flexible (I use it for lead sheets too).

I'm sure the more you'll get confident, the more you will it a useful tool.

Cheers

MuseScore 6
  • Hi, all,

Yes, I'll get used to it. These things grow, like I still haven't mastered Vsl by any means but hope to improve in little ways each new work. I mean, even after 9 years of Reaper I'm learning new tricks, sometimes revelations, like the day I found I could split and rejoin an entire score of tracks in one go. 

I never use bar lines on paper, just commas or apostrophes(?) above a phrase end like the renaissance composers.  That's why I doubt I could adjust to notation software for composing. Faced with a page of staves with bar lines, bars filled in with semibreve rests... a bit like a prison cell !!!

At least one has to take the first step!

Thanks for the encouragement and I won't divert this thread any more. 

This reply was deleted.