Motifs for Wind Ensemble

Motif for Wind Ensemble is a piece I had started to write while the last part of my undergrad. It wasnt until after graduating did I finish the piece to an extent of which I thought it was worthy to show here.

The title describe what the piece is doing, Mofits come in and out through out the entire piece in various shapes the forms. The piece is written with slight Post-minimalism traits, and has heavy use of poly rhythms.

The piece is still in editing form, but this is the point in where I ask my fellow composers for help as a fresh pair of eyes and ears. I would love to hear back on the overall impression of the piece, any section you felt need more work, and notation and orchestration mistakes.

I know the mix of the mock up isnt the best, nor do I have the best samples, (especially with the sax) but if you can over look that and focus on the music it self that would be of great help to me.

Motif for Wind Ensemble.pdf

Motif for Wind Ensemble smaller.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes tyler, if that was the intention I should admit it was making me concentrate... 

The piece in in E and as you said dorian mode... The E dorian mode and the E melodic minor differs only by one note for the dorian it is D and for melodic minor it is D#... In my view.. Using a dominant or diminished chord here without using either D or D# might have created the same polytonal tension ( say a dominant 7#9b9 or a diminished 7add9), and the advantage u r still in the home key creating the illusion..... 

this is just a suggestion... And opinions might vary tyler.. 

With love,

Shiv

• Enjoyed this piece and the way that it built up and used the rhythms and motives so inventively.

It will require some really good musicians to pull it off.

Spell check the title!

• Thanks

Yeah after I had made the PDF I noticed the misspelling lol
    Adrian Allan said:

Enjoyed this piece and the way that it built up and used the rhythms and motives so inventively.

It will require some really good musicians to pull it off.

Spell check the title!

Motifs for Wind Ensemble
    Motif for Wind Ensemble is a piece I had started to write while the last part of my undergrad. It wasnt until after graduating did I finish the piece…
  • Page 3, 2nd measure you are writing below the low range for piccolo.

Page 15 you exceed upper ranges for both piccolo and flute. There are other occurrences where flutes are asked to play notes they can't. 

• Thanks for pointing out that first range issue.

I know that the range on page 15 is at the cusp of the flute range, but it still doable. Just really really hard to do.
    Loren Lieberman said:

Page 3, 2nd measure you are writing below the low range for piccolo.

Page 15 you exceed upper ranges for both piccolo and flute. There are other occurrences where flutes are asked to play notes they can't. 

Motifs for Wind Ensemble
    Motif for Wind Ensemble is a piece I had started to write while the last part of my undergrad. It wasnt until after graduating did I finish the piece…
This reply was deleted.