Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello all, long time no see!

I present, for your listening pleasure (or displeasure, as the case may be), my most recent composition: a rather small prelude for piano. It employs modal harmonies and melodic constructs, and may therefore sound a bit harsh or strange to the ear. The main motif is stated near the opening, and then it is developed over the resulting A section. The transitional B section provides more of an ostinato (and is in a different "key" than the A section). The piece then finds its way back to A and returns to the original "key," before ending with a distorted major chord.

This will likely become the first movement to a piano suite, but I suppose time will tell. :)

Thank you in advance for taking the time to listen! Any and all feedback is welcome.

Enjoy!

Jörfi

Views: 35

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is an interesting and enjoyable piece Jorfi. It stands well on its own but seems to want to be part of a larger work which is what you are intending so that's good. Modern with eccentric rhythms and dissonance but still accessible. Expressive use of tempo and dynamics and meter changes and great repetitive use of your theme, that helps draw me into this piece. Having heard some of your impressive orchestrations I can't help but wonder what this piece would sound like given that treatment.

I'm not familiar with screziato, can you comment?

Ingenious composition, Jörfi, perfectly chosen instrument for this piece. Well played also.

Most interesting choice of chords creating a strong tension. It still vibrates inside me.

A wonderful experience.

/Kjell

Hi, Ingo!

Thank you for your comment, very kind, as always! Yes, the piece is going to be incorporated into a suite and likely renamed something a bit more exciting than just "prelude."

Hmmm, an orchestral arrangement of this... I think that's a marvelous idea! But probably not anytime soon.

Screziato means mottled or spotted, since this work was meant to resemble falling rain. Rather than give straight tempo directions, I wanted to provide more of a visual. (Cadente, by the way, means falling—another visual of rain.)

Ingo Lee said:

This is an interesting and enjoyable piece Jorfi. It stands well on its own but seems to want to be part of a larger work which is what you are intending so that's good. Modern with eccentric rhythms and dissonance but still accessible. Expressive use of tempo and dynamics and meter changes and great repetitive use of your theme, that helps draw me into this piece. Having heard some of your impressive orchestrations I can't help but wonder what this piece would sound like given that treatment.

I'm not familiar with screziato, can you comment?

Thank you, Kjell! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

(Also, I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do, so I must confess that the recording is not one of me. Simple computer rendition.)

Kjell Prytz said:

Ingenious composition, Jörfi, perfectly chosen instrument for this piece. Well played also.

Most interesting choice of chords creating a strong tension. It still vibrates inside me.

A wonderful experience.

/Kjell

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service