Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

An exercise. I don't want to let go of standard diatonic harmony (even if this doesn't obey all the CPP rules). A classical-styled thing has to have harmonic clarity, limited chromatics.

So I ran this up. I'm honestly tired of more complex music and things like this seem so much easier to write. It went straight into the daw which I can set up to allow whole-project editing in a single editor panel.

The orchestration is less conventional but it can be balanced without cheating.

And...I'm not sure if it conforms to a classical minuet. It has its main chunk, a trio for 4 players, then the main chunk. Sounds bland to me. Is it the right format?

Point is - I'd truly appreciate if anyone knows if I've stolen the tune from somewhere. It wasn't my intention. Pieces like this are a bit of a muchness so - 'onnist, guv, I don't think I nicked it.

Thank you for any comment.

Views: 141

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice I could imagine the minuet step dance, if I may give some small notes on mix, at min 1:27 the string section becomes a little too loud and takes away the chill that the whole track has going for the listener. and on the whole reduce the strings... maybe you could use a less bold articulation or reduce the number of players in the section to mellow things a bit. good luck!

Hey, 8Rivers,

Thank you for listening and your comment.

I see what you mean during the closing moments. They're chamber strings: 6 6 4 3 2 and I had trouble getting 'body' out of them, almost reinforced them with the flute that was doing nothing at that point. As I was using an alto flute it would have been a bit high.

If I were preparing the orchestra I'd ask them to play a little quieter. I'll try reducing the velocities - adds up to the same thing.

When I finish a piece I usually put it away for a few weeks before checking if it needs a final touch up. This time I picked it before it was ripe! 

Thanks again,

There, I've taken the edge off it. I don't want it too quiet as it's the last "round".

V2 - in the next post. Can't add a file to an edited post.

Modified version. No musical difference, just the velocities of the closing phrase strings.

Attachments:

Dane, this little miniature of yours put a smile on my face. I liked the rather kaleidoscopic scoring and the way you varied the minuet section in the reprise... and the tierce at the end was charming. Overall had the feel of a throwaway, but I hope you don't. ;)

And no, I don't recognize the main theme. It's characteristic enough that probably some Baroque or early Classical composer penned something very much like it, but I doubt it's a direct quote from anyone.

Nice and stately.  The melodic and harmonic diversions make it quite unique; I don't think you've to worry about "stealing" somebody else's tune!

Dane, if you'll explore this classical side of yours you may encounter precious gems along the way.

This was marvelous.

Hey, Liz,

Thank you for listening and your nice comments.

Well, it was an exercise - partly to learn to work directly into a daw with this kind of 'light' work. (I can set the editor up with one window that covers the whole orchestra.) I won't throw it away; instead may tart it up a bit inc a more orthodox orchestra. One never knows when someone might want a piece like this! 

Cheers,

Dane

Liz Atems said:

Dane, this little miniature of yours put a smile on my face. I liked the rather kaleidoscopic scoring and the way you varied the minuet section in the reprise... and the tierce at the end was charming. Overall had the feel of a throwaway, but I hope you don't. ;)

And no, I don't recognize the main theme. It's characteristic enough that probably some Baroque or early Classical composer penned something very much like it, but I doubt it's a direct quote from anyone.

Thank you for listening and helping assuage my worry! It seems more of a formal dance than a classical symphonic movement but I'm unsure if I have the format right. 1 1/2 minutes seems a bit short for a dance - but then it was an exercise in working with diatonic harmony.

Thank you,

Dane

H. S. Teoh said:

Nice and stately.  The melodic and harmonic diversions make it quite unique; I don't think you've to worry about "stealing" somebody else's tune!

Saul, good morning,

Thank you for listening and I could well be taking your advice here. You are master of your art and I'm inclined to take note.

Cheers,

Dane.

Saul Gefen said:

Dane, if you'll explore this classical side of yours you may encounter precious gems along the way.

This was marvelous.

Human mind has this habit of accepting something false if it is said enough times and we listen to our mix many times over and over again so we become a little blind to our pitfalls I do exactly what you do I  wait at least a couple of days and revisit the song and I'm sometimes abashed by some flaws in the mix that I didn't see before.

Yes the last part has become much better and again, great job composing this!

Dane Aubrun said:

Hey, 8Rivers,

Thank you for listening and your comment.

I see what you mean during the closing moments. They're chamber strings: 6 6 4 3 2 and I had trouble getting 'body' out of them, almost reinforced them with the flute that was doing nothing at that point. As I was using an alto flute it would have been a bit high.

If I were preparing the orchestra I'd ask them to play a little quieter. I'll try reducing the velocities - adds up to the same thing.

When I finish a piece I usually put it away for a few weeks before checking if it needs a final touch up. This time I picked it before it was ripe! 

Thanks again,

There, I've taken the edge off it. I don't want it too quiet as it's the last "round".

V2 - in the next post. Can't add a file to an edited post.

Thanks, Dane.

Dane Aubrun said:

Saul, good morning,

Thank you for listening and I could well be taking your advice here. You are master of your art and I'm inclined to take note.

Cheers,

Dane.

Saul Gefen said:

This was marvelous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTeTaXJruhU

1:50

Schnittke may have nicked this from somewhere else.

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service