Minuet 1'45"

An exercise. I don't want to let go of standard diatonic harmony (even if this doesn't obey all the CPP rules). A classical-styled thing has to have harmonic clarity, limited chromatics.

So I ran this up. I'm honestly tired of more complex music and things like this seem so much easier to write. It went straight into the daw which I can set up to allow whole-project editing in a single editor panel.

The orchestration is less conventional but it can be balanced without cheating.

And...I'm not sure if it conforms to a classical minuet. It has its main chunk, a trio for 4 players, then the main chunk. Sounds bland to me. Is it the right format?

Point is - I'd truly appreciate if anyone knows if I've stolen the tune from somewhere. It wasn't my intention. Pieces like this are a bit of a muchness so - 'onnist, guv, I don't think I nicked it.

Thank you for any comment.

Minuet260820 192.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm not going to enter this mathematical discussion except to say that many of the possible combinations wouldn't be usable in classical forms such as dances which move forward on the basis of a harmonic rhythm so the choice at various points are limited. 

It doesn't even matter. What's been said about accidental plagiarism has been shown possible.

Thank you all for the comments, encouragement and discussion. It's always appreciated. 

Cheers for now,

Dane.

• Just to clarify: I didn't say that tonality = finite number of possible combinations. I was talking about a simple, traditional, formulaic form like a minuet, and really only thinking of the first few bars. Sure, if you allow for UNmusical combinations, then even then the number of possibilities becomes astronomically large. But the number of possible combinations that people find appealing (and in keeping with the style usually associated with the form) is surely not so large that the same musical idea isn't often independently thought up by more than one person.

Anyway that's all that I was saying, and I, too, don't have the time to get into a more abstract and mathematical discussion where we try to estimate the total number of possibilities in a tonal composition! I'm a physicist and I love back of the envelope calculations, but without more constraints I don't think that's even a well-formulated problem.

• Alright, alright, you got me. I apologize for the knee-jerk reaction and the needless mathematical diversion.

(Though, come to think of it, it would be fun to estimate just how large the space of possibilties are for some given constraints, say a tonal piece in minuet form of some given structure. Maybe in a separate discussion? If people are interested. Maybe I'm just crazy. :-P)

This reply was deleted.