As a novice composer who is interested in composing for films and other forms of entertainment, I was surprised to discover that in the state of the industry, the composer also has to largely play the role of the producer (which means also being the performer since most composers are expected to make convincing demos nowadays). The Classical composers, however, is only responsible for writing the score, which is essentially a manuscript of performance instructions. He doesn't have to be able to play all the instruments that are in his score, he doesn't have to edit the recordings of his works, he doesn't have to teach the violinist to play a convincing staccato. In other words, the Classical composer is but the architect, whereas the film composer is the architect AND the construction worker AND the civil engineer. So my question is, what do you guys think of this merging of roles? Do you think it's fair? Do you think that this requirement of being technologically proficient impedes the success of those who are musically talented but not technologically?

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well that's rather depressing that you believe the path of academia leads to no economic success...
  • Hmm I see. I'm just frustrated in general that like Michael said, instead of helping ease our lives we sometimes find technology making life tougher and filled with more obstacles. This is probably because unlike real humans, technology is still at a stage where it's you who has to adapt to it, it never adapts to you, yet everyone depends on it. And once tech is intelligent enough to adapt, it might be intelligent enough to take over....either way its bad news.
  • I think they are still using live musicians, orchestras for most of the big budget movies and then the next tier it's maybe down to a handful of live musicians with virtual sounds and finally down to all virtual sounds. Something like that. 

The musicians are probably the ones right now that feel threatened but another decade or so down the road maybe the composer for the most part will also be virtual. In the eighties Steve Jobs once told his girl friend, Joan Baez that someday computers would create as good or better music compared to what humans were capable of. I think that may have been the beginning of the end for those two but only time will tell. 

This reply was deleted.