Per recommendation of some forum members, I'm posting this work-in-progress.
Currently, the first section (up to m.94) is relatively satisfactory to me (though of course things can always be improved), but the second section, from rehearsal E onwards, just doesn't feel right. It's more than 60+ bars with tutti chords at forte, and feels like it would be too tiring to listen to because of the constant tutti and dynamic level. There are also many open questions:
- Does the sudden interruption at m.95 and the following transition work well, or does it sound awkward?
- Do the horns really need to be ff to cut through the rest of the orchestra, or am I falling into the trap of scoring for the computer rather than for the real instruments?
- The only reason I doubled the horns at 8ve above with 1st violins is because I wanted that trill in mm.106, 110 (and the corresponding repeats afterwards), which I don't think the horns can pull off without sounding muddy. I tried dropping out the melody notes shortly after the trill, but it sounded weird so I ended up having to double the entire phrase in the 1st violins. Is there any other way of getting that trill in there without such ugly resorts?
- I'm not confident I have the spacing/distribution of the tutti chords worked out properly. Can you see if there are any obvious newbie errors in there?
- I'm not sure the timpani part is playable on the standard orchestral set of 4 timpani. There are too many different notes as I try to follow the various modulations... Any suggestions of how this could be made more playable?
- The crescendo from H to m.159 seems a bit lackluster... what am I doing wrong? Could part of it be that I've been at tutti for far too many bars already before that point?
- The instrumentation of mm.160-167 is atrocious. Did I push the 1st violins too high, or do you think it's OK as-is? Should the winds play chords instead? Etc.
- Bars 168-179 are currently unfinished. Those brass chords are just a temporary stop-gap. I'm unsure how to effectively score this passage yet.
Any feedback on the above issues, or anything else you notice, even in the first section, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening!