I wrote this Spanish piece called El Matador Mas Grande (The greatest Matador) for Symphonic orchestra and solo Bb Trumpet.  It was inspired by the story of Manolete, considered the greatest Matador of all time.  He changed the sport of bull fighting into an art form by creating an unique way of performing with the bull as though it were a choreographed dance.

This composition reflects the man and the extension of his character; austere, serious, brave, sober and tough, yet, always elegant. His life was felt to be the embodiment of the bullfighting ethos, la fiesta brava!

The final two notes of this piece represent the Spanish word Ole`!,shouted by the crowd to the Matador for a performance "Well done"!

I look forward to your comments.

https://soundcloud.com/lealley

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 8607520670?profile=original

O.K., let's try this again!

I wrote this Spanish piece called El Matador Mas Grande (The greatest Matador) for Symphonic orchestra and solo Bb Trumpet.  It was inspired by the story of Manolete, considered the greatest Matador of all time.  He changed the sport of bull fighting into an art form by creating an unique way of performing with the bull as though it were a choreographed dance.

This composition reflects the man and the extension of his character; austere, serious, brave, sober and tough, yet, always elegant.  His life was felt to be the embodiment of the bullfighting ethos, La Fiesta Brava!

I look forward to your comments.

https://soundcloud.com/lealley

• Hey Bob,

Actually, I'm not a keyboard player!  I do use the keyboard to work out melodic lines and block chord progressions to get ideas on paper the old fashioned way.  I then use Sibelius to begin laying out the score notation.  I actually wrote this piece because of a call for scores through the College Music Society of which I am a member.  Doc Severinsen sponsored an international composition contest, in which I did submit this work.  The contest criteria required a composition written for either wind or symphonic orchestra with solo Bb trumpet.  There had to be a mixture of classical and some jazz with interaction between the ensemble and the solo trumpet and between 8 & 12 min in length.  To date, this was the most complex and lengthy work I had ever done.

Yes, Sibelius sounds suck, but that's all I have right now.  You were correct, that was a trombone solo.  My intention was to begin the piece in the traditional Spanish flavor and break out into some variations such as Latin.  There are hints of Rumba & tango in it.  I am currently working on a concert band arrangement of it and have been considering making some changes.  I have a director friend where I live that is the conductor of the Richmond Pops and they can do a live performance recording for me.

I appreciate your feedback!

Take care,

Gene

• Gene,

The piece gets better as it goes on.  I hear three sections, the opening matador section, the Spanish dance, then a combination of the two at the end.  I thought you over did the castenet sounding thing at the beginning.  This makes me want to head south of the border.  I haven't been there for a long time.  Good work.

Lawrence

• Hey Lawrence,

Tijuana or bust!  LoL!   Your perception on the structure of the piece is right on. Also, I wanted to make sure I gave the Castanet player something to do and not fall asleep!   I greatly appreciate your comments.

Take care,

Gene

• Sibelius 7

• Bob, I would be glad to send it to you.  How do I use private e-mail on this site?

Gene

This reply was deleted.