Hello,

I developed /composed this in Sonar.  I really tried to create a reasonable score from it but the bizarre quirks of Finale defeated me.  It seemed in the end to be "making things up", ie adding notes that were not in the file at all. Apologies.

I am uploading a midi file and an MP3. 

Engage as much or as little as you wish. 

Also I have become much more busy (not with music unfortunately) and have had some family issues and have not really been able to take part here very much for quite some time.  I will try to make amends.

If anyone does want to discuss this, my particular question (apart from the usual ones) would be: is it worth making a proper score from this?

regards, Paul.

ps it's just under 20 minutes. 

Links rather than uploads:

Audio

Midi

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Paul--

I found this EXTREMELY well done, in all ways and very impressive. Kudos to you:)

The following remarks are just my opinions, based on common practices with pieces such as yours. Please feel free to totally ignore any or all of them!

1) In the first quarter or so of the piece the percussion seems panned way too left for me. It seems better later in the piece.

2) from approximately about 9:40 to 12: 15 or so I had problems hearing it.

3) I did find the absence of any real faster rhythmic music in the piece to be something that might better have been included

4) The "Two Violins" in the title--I never really hear these or anything virtuosic etc that might warrant them being mentioned in the title.

You really did an EXCELLENT job here and thanks so much for sharing!

Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

• Bob Morabito said:

Hi Paul--

I found this EXTREMELY well done, in all ways and very impressive. Kudos to you:)

The following remarks are just my opinions, based on common practices with pieces such as yours. Please feel free to totally ignore any or all of them!

1) In the first quarter or so of the piece the percussion seems panned way too left for me. It seems better later in the piece.

2) from approximately about 9:40 to 12: 15 or so I had problems hearing it.

3) I did find the absence of any real faster rhythmic music in the piece to be something that might better have been included

4) The "Two Violins" in the title--I never really hear these or anything virtuosic etc that might warrant them being mentioned in the title.

You really did an EXCELLENT job here and thanks so much for sharing!

Bob https://soundcloud.com/bob-morabito

Thank you Bob for the very kind compliments and for taking the time to listen.  It took a very long time and a lot of revising and it is still not really finished.  I am not going to do much on it for quite a while - maybe a year.  I need to get perspective. In the short term I will do some minor edits and put it on Soundcloud and possibly other sites - then after a long interval I will listen again and do some real revisions and possibly make a score. 

In future if I compose something like this again I will begin in Finale and finish in Sonar.

I don't know what happened with the percusion - as far as I know there was nothing I set which would change the panning.

I deliberately avoided compression and normalisation but I also took the master volume down to avoid clipping.  I've listened back on a different computer with an M-Audio card feeding a Yamaha MU-128 with headphones and the volume is fine but that may be deceptive.  I will import into Audacity and, if it's feasible, normalise.   That section is very quiet, I know. 

Other people have commented on the tempo or lack of faster rhythms so that really is something to address or at least think about.

Finally I agree it's no concerto.  The solo violins both instances of the solo violin KS 'instrument' from the East West Platinum Symphonic Orchestra Library - at times they probably are hard to distinguish from the massed violin sound.  The title was not a title really, just a label.  I don't know yet what to call it. 

Long piece for orchestra and two violins
    Hello, I developed /composed this in Sonar.  I really tried to create a reasonable score from it but the bizarre quirks of Finale defeated me.  It se…
This reply was deleted.