Newest piece.  It goes back and forth between B locrian and F locrian.  Thoughts, especially from brass players would be very welcome.  There are short phrases of "meditation" connected and not, question and response ideas.

Locrian Meditations.pdf

Locrian Meditations.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a good piece in the making, but I feel that there could be more to it. The meditation aspect I thought could have been more exploited. Also some more effects could also lend itself to the effect you were going for. Overall not a bad piece of music. 

• This is not a good piece in the making.  The trouble with writing in Locrian mode (and we've all tried it) is that the tonic chord is diminished, so no matter how you harmonise a Locrian melody, you will always feel that you are being pushed involuntarily to a different key with a more definite dominant chord.

Of course, you haven't come across this problem because you have written an unaccompanied melody.  So the reason that I say that 'it is not a good piece in the making' is that there is not really a lot more you can do with it.   Even Benjamin Britten, when writing a piece in his 'Ceremony of Carols' adopted the Locrian mode he avoided the fifth degree when harmonising, and just about got away with it.

So it cannot be 'a good piece in the making' if there is not a lot more you can do with it, because as an unaccompanied melody, it's rather dire.  Also, it might help if you could gain access to some decent samples.  There are free ones on the net (take a look at previous discussions on this site), and use some expression.  At the moment, it sounds like someone trying to play the kazoo.

I apologise for my 'sledgehammer' way of criticism, but I have been constructive and I have given you some good advice.

• It's a good idea to experiment with different modes, but I'm not all that convinced by the melodic invention here. It sounds a little too much like arpeggio practice - I think that some more conventional rhythmic groups would have added form to the melody eg. dotted eighth notes and sixteenths to break up the monotony. Maybe also some feel of anacrusis, or phrases starting before the beat. Only some ideas I can offer...

• Thanks for the comments, here is what I was inspired by/going for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlj4GshBFmc

- YouTube
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
This reply was deleted.