Replies

• Bob, I am not trying to cause trouble, nor am I trying to provoke you. I genuinely misunderstood you. I erroneously translated your statement into an admission that you had brought to light the other discussion that wasn't deleted to Tyler's knowledge.

That's all.

Cheers,

Simon.

p.s. I've actually opened up a discussion about it. You may wish to 'fight' your corner. It's called 'moderator's actions' and it's on this very part of the forum.

Bob Morabito said:
    Simon --you seem hell bent on trying to cause trouble..again...and failing.

And Im lost as to how you get anything about speaking to a moderator from my post---I didnt speak to anyone--did you?--
    and again as I said--and keep repeating--I agree with what Tyler did.

I hope thats clear enough this time, and doesnt need repeating.

Thanks and take care.

Bob Morabito

Simon Godden said:
    When you say "I was also referring to not only to that post, but also to other posts that went on and on forever", are you saying that you complained about it to the moderators?

Bob Morabito said:
    Very easily--
    I said it and I stand by it Simon.

and I didnt count who had the most lines. and I doubt you did either, but then again who knows--
    either way I think youre WAY off on that.

In addition,I was also referring not only to that post, but also to other posts that went on and on forever, not in any constructive way.

All pretty clear, and said before, SImon.

And this thread now seems to be going that way too..again....

Take care.

Bob Morabito

Simon Godden said:
    Bob, how can you possibly say that Tyler did the right thing when most of the prose issued on those pages was from your "pen"?
    Bob Morabito said:
    Tyler did the right thing, in my opinion...and FWIW I think there should be MORE of that in other posts I read that went on forever, and are not productive...

And Adrian, I dont consider this banter or fun at all..just necessary at times, to respond. Simon Godden said:
    I know. It was fun until Tyler Hughes, the newly promoted moderator decided to come and chop about four pages of discussion of the site and threaten us all with dismissal from the forum.

Adrian Allan said:
    Your banter makes me chuckle

However much you two disagree it's always with the obligatory polite sign-off "thanks" or even "give my regards to your good lady"

Hilarious
    Leave your Suggestions Here
    Do you have a suggestion on how to improve something around here?  Leave a comment here!
  • Again, Im totally lost as to how you could have thought that from what I had written--

Either way, thanks for your explanation.

Bob Morabito

Simon Godden said:
    Bob, I am not trying to cause trouble, nor am I trying to provoke you. I genuinely misunderstood you. I erroneously translated your statement into an admission that you had brought to light the other discussion that wasn't deleted to Tyler's knowledge.

That's all.

Cheers,

Simon.

p.s. I've actually opened up a discussion about it. You may wish to 'fight' your corner. It's called 'moderator's actions' and it's on this very part of the forum.

Bob Morabito said:
    Simon --you seem hell bent on trying to cause trouble..again...and failing.

And Im lost as to how you get anything about speaking to a moderator from my post---I didnt speak to anyone--did you?--
    and again as I said--and keep repeating--I agree with what Tyler did.

I hope thats clear enough this time, and doesnt need repeating.

Thanks and take care.

Bob Morabito

Simon Godden said:
    When you say "I was also referring to not only to that post, but also to other posts that went on and on forever", are you saying that you complained about it to the moderators?

Bob Morabito said:
    Very easily--
    I said it and I stand by it Simon.

and I didnt count who had the most lines. and I doubt you did either, but then again who knows--
    either way I think youre WAY off on that.

In addition,I was also referring not only to that post, but also to other posts that went on and on forever, not in any constructive way.

All pretty clear, and said before, SImon.

And this thread now seems to be going that way too..again....

Take care.

Bob Morabito

Simon Godden said:
    Bob, how can you possibly say that Tyler did the right thing when most of the prose issued on those pages was from your "pen"?
    Bob Morabito said:
    Tyler did the right thing, in my opinion...and FWIW I think there should be MORE of that in other posts I read that went on forever, and are not productive...

And Adrian, I dont consider this banter or fun at all..just necessary at times, to respond. Simon Godden said:
    I know. It was fun until Tyler Hughes, the newly promoted moderator decided to come and chop about four pages of discussion of the site and threaten us all with dismissal from the forum.

Adrian Allan said:
    Your banter makes me chuckle

However much you two disagree it's always with the obligatory polite sign-off "thanks" or even "give my regards to your good lady"

Hilarious
    Do you have a suggestion on how to improve something around here?  Leave a comment here!
  • My suggestion has nothing to do with this long blog thread(s) I just read - and yet, it could.

I've noticed that in replies that there is often too much text before the reply. This has happened on several blogs: some parts are months old - others are fresh from the server. I wonder if there is a way to make the replies more economical. [are word limits useful?]
  • Thanks for your comments Kristofer,
    This thread has been hijacked, so i wanted to let you know I appreciated your comments. You writing is clear. There was nothing to take offense at and in no way be construed as such. i agree with what you said. My personal acceptance was more in the line of "me and others like me" written as another point of view. It is unfortunate that Mr. Kemp's ire was roused. He is dedicated to this forum. I will attempt to upload something, but am still unclear what the upload limit is.
    Best to you and your work,
    tony hartmann

Kristofer Emerig said:
    I've got to remember to "follow" this stuff when I post, as I almost missed this. No Tony, it's not personally directed at anyone specifically. I think I made the post in a mild mood of frustration perhaps, and perhaps could have worded some things more diplomatically, but I'll still stand by my suggestion.

I'm not a moderator or policy maker here, but those that are put up a suggestion box, so what the hell, right?

Tony personally: Just post your material. Many here like myself don't listen too much for production value (others do and that's alright too) and I can tell you that I myself prefer longer, more developed works than the 2-3 minute variety. Don't just assume that your material won't be appreciated. Too many stripes of listeners to support that assumption.

Besides, if you've noticed, not to many unsolicited negative comments are posted to members' comments on their homepage. If you want to be eviscerated you have to put it in dissection, and even that's relatively mild in tone compared to many other internet forums.

tony hartmann said:
    Sorry about the false post.
    If I may make this personal, you're talking about me here. I do appreciate both the comments and understand the logic. If you're willing to here the op side, please read on.
    I have not posted anything I have written. I have been at MIDI composition since 2001. Yes, I have my attempts on CD. I do not post them because: I am a serious amateur judging my work to be of no interest to most of the composers in the group. One, my stuff is orchestral - not classical. Two, I have never sold or attempted to sell this work as many here do. Three, the forum questions do not seem to pertain to my specific composing needs and or I am not qualified in any realistic way to comment on another persons work. Four, those that are successfully selling their work appear to me to be wanting to connect with others like themselves, (exactly what this forum is intended for). Five, Kristofer Emerig has expressed my view in his excellent post above. Six my works average around 7 to 10 minutes each, which, understandably, does not appear to have a great appeal to most members ( I could be wrong).
    OK, that is why I don't post my compositions and why I do search the forum for music I am interested in, commenting only on the works that appeal to me and leaving the critique to seasoned experts. I live in Johnson City TN and could attend the group gathering offered by Mr. Alper, but have decided aqainst it. One- I have no clue what to do there. Two- it would take me away from the eight hours a day that I am attempting to devote to my composing (which is sore need of more hours per day). This forum is one of three that I use to take the occasional break and use to try and understand the MIDI composing process.
    So I thank Chris Merrit for starting this site. If my view is not sufficient to continue as a member, so be it. I will still continue to view the site and listen to what skilled and talented others are capable of doing with composing, and if I could find a way to contribute money to the site maintenance without using the web for payment- I would do that.
    best to all,
    tony h
  • Yes Ray, you are a perfect angel. There is no way anybody would be in the least offended by a statement like:

"I'm not talking about putting anything up for dissection but just showing the tiniest bit of respect for other composers and peers."

That statement was very respectful of other composers and peers. It in no way painted a picture of those who choose not to post music as disrespectful hooligans hell bent on destroying all that is good in the composer's forum. Hyperbole is so much fun...

So, my suggestion would be that administrators shouldn't go about intimidating others and that if they do they shouldn't be administrators. You may think of this as trolling, but I like to think of it more as patrolling.

By the way, I could really care less. Life will go on.

(Interesting that I would confront somebody if I didn't at all care about what they were doing, eh?)

Love, Tom Recchia

Ray Kemp said:
    tony hartmann said:
    . It is unfortunate that Mr. Kemp's ire was roused..

Tony,
    You're so wrong. Although I have opinions that come unfortunately with ageing, the strongest negative feelings I have about anyone or anything is simply "a dislike of". I try never to curry favour for the sake of it. I try to be helpful to anyone asking assistance without browbeating.

In a nutshell, I'm not "really" concerned whether you or anyone else presents examples of your music here. Life will go on.

Ray
  • Hi Tom!

Part of the issue is probably that I let my admins be regular members. In other words, they are free to have their opinions and participate however they want. This can seem at odds when their opinions are strong and against another member.

I do try to ensure that an admin does not take action against a member based on a disagreement of opinion.

Thanks for your input!
  • Howdy all.

I was wondering about the music dissection category. As I see it, that could be one of the most important parts of this site. Composers getting together, listening and commenting on each other's work...where else can you get that besides a university? Sadly, here that category gets flooded with stuff (I am admittedly one of the culprits) to the point where nobody is particularly motivated to listen to any of it, much less comment on it. I was wondering if there would be a way to make it so nobody can post a new thread there until the last thread has received at least x amount of comments. People could just play the system by not actually listening but just writing something vague like "I liked it!" just so they can post their own piece, i did think about that. Also, I have no idea if something like my suggestion would even be possible. Sour grapes because my last piece hasn't received any comments yet, maybe I suppose, but I do believe that area should be more active on the constructive criticism or raving reviews or whatever rather than simply "look what I did!" For what it's worth.
  • This could be a valid reason for a 'group.' In such a setup, the group owner would be able to institute rules. He could make it so that each piece of music is a separate discussion, and only allow the next one when he feels that the last was justly commented on...

However, a 'group' might not have as many people seeing and participating...

Tombo Rombo said:
    Howdy all.

I was wondering about the music dissection category. As I see it, that could be one of the most important parts of this site. Composers getting together, listening and commenting on each other's work...where else can you get that besides a university? Sadly, here that category gets flooded with stuff (I am admittedly one of the culprits) to the point where nobody is particularly motivated to listen to any of it, much less comment on it. I was wondering if there would be a way to make it so nobody can post a new thread there until the last thread has received at least x amount of comments. People could just play the system by not actually listening but just writing something vague like "I liked it!" just so they can post their own piece, i did think about that. Also, I have no idea if something like my suggestion would even be possible. Sour grapes because my last piece hasn't received any comments yet, maybe I suppose, but I do believe that area should be more active on the constructive criticism or raving reviews or whatever rather than simply "look what I did!" For what it's worth.
  • I'm not sure about this. The ''music dissection'' forum is an integral part of this website. For many composers, it is the main reason that they joined, to see if their compositions are good, can be improved, can be toned down etc. However, for people to put up their own music, they MUST be prepared to give constructive criticism to all other entries in return. Otherwise, it is nothing more than downright selfishness.

Also, there must be watchdogs to ensure that people aren't bashing peoples music with non-constructive criticism for the sake of it due to personal dislike of the composer, sour grapes or blatant sadism. This has happened in the past and has caused a lot of misery in some people.

But the idea that composers shouldn't be allowed to put up compositions of their own to the 'music dissection' forum because they didn't receive enough comments before, is nothing short of facism. It's not their fault that people are too selfish to listen to other people's music at certain times.

To my mind, all composers or even wannabe composers should be encouraged, no matter what standard they are, so if they put up a piece that is quite obviously the work of a beginner, then we should take that into consideration and comment accordingly. And there should also be a stop to this 'tit for tat' arguing, whereby A spends a lot of time on B's behalf making a constructive critique, and just because there is one single element that B doesn't like, then B will spend the rest of his time on the forum completely ripping anything that A wrote, just because he is under this mad illusion that he must get even with him.

Now I know that's a lot of criteria that I've just written above, but that doesn't meant that the 'Music Dissection' thread should be abolished, because after all, it is the chief reason why this forum is so popular.
    times.to
    The domain name 'times.to' is parked at Register.TO Domain Registrar
  • Excellent thoughts. Maybe there could be a middle ground of sorts by splitting music dissection into separate categories. Not sure how to split up, maybe a beginner's corner and separate ones for classical, jazz, pop, and crossover. Maybe hi-fi and low-fi? Maybe "people you like" and "people you.." just kidding on that last one of course. The advantage to these categories would be: first, that people looking to listen to a particular type of music will find it easier and second, that each new post will have less chance of becoming buried so quickly. I have a feeling that the classical, jazz, pop categories probably wouldn't work because most composers here go for the classical. Maybe tonal, atonal, and mid-tonal? Maybe...who knows how to split them, that might make for an interesting debate.

Chris Merritt said:
    This could be a valid reason for a 'group.' In such a setup, the group owner would be able to institute rules. He could make it so that each piece of music is a separate discussion, and only allow the next one when he feels that the last was justly commented on...

However, a 'group' might not have as many people seeing and participating...

Tombo Rombo said:
    Howdy all.

This reply was deleted.