Replies

• Great thought, Kristopher. We admins are also annoyed at the inactive accounts, and we go through them and delete the ones that don't respond when we have time. There is no way to require an audio upload upon account creation, though. The best we could do is tell them it is required, then approve their account, then delete them by hand if they do not upload music within a certain time frame.

I'll discuss it with my admins, though.

Thanks!

Chris
  • Sorry about the false post.
    If I may make this personal, you're talking about me here. I do appreciate both the comments and understand the logic. If you're willing to here the op side, please read on.
    I have not posted anything I have written. I have been at MIDI composition since 2001. Yes, I have my attempts on CD. I do not post them because: I am a serious amateur judging my work to be of no interest to most of the composers in the group. One, my stuff is orchestral - not classical. Two, I have never sold or attempted to sell this work as many here do. Three, the forum questions do not seem to pertain to my specific composing needs and or I am not qualified in any realistic way to comment on another persons work. Four, those that are successfully selling their work appear to me to be wanting to connect with others like themselves, (exactly what this forum is intended for). Five, Kristofer Emerig has expressed my view in his excellent post above. Six my works average around 7 to 10 minutes each, which, understandably, does not appear to have a great appeal to most members ( I could be wrong).
    OK, that is why I don't post my compositions and why I do search the forum for music I am interested in, commenting only on the works that appeal to me and leaving the critique to seasoned experts. I live in Johnson City TN and could attend the group gathering offered by Mr. Alper, but have decided aqainst it. One- I have no clue what to do there. Two- it would take me away from the eight hours a day that I am attempting to devote to my composing (which is sore need of more hours per day). This forum is one of three that I use to take the occasional break and use to try and understand the MIDI composing process.
    So I thank Chris Merrit for starting this site. If my view is not sufficient to continue as a member, so be it. I will still continue to view the site and listen to what skilled and talented others are capable of doing with composing, and if I could find a way to contribute money to the site maintenance without using the web for payment- I would do that.
    best to all,
    tony h
    http://process.So/
  • Tony, I don't think Kris's post was intended for anybody personally. However, you say that you have been at MIDI composition since 2001 as if it is a short time. It isn't, believe me. I also believe that you may be being a bit hard on yourself when you say that your compositions are of no interest to anybody else, and the fact that they are classical is irrelevant, as a lot of composers on this site do not even work with orchestral forces, let alone classical ones.

I can't, and have no intention of persuading you to post your compositions onto this site. But I will say this. You may well find the experience very rewarding as there are a lot of people on this site that can provide intelligent feedback that could well be to your advantage. This is generally what the forum is about.

If I was to associate your points with me personally. My works are quite often a lot longer than 7-10 minutes long, and I have never, so far, been able to sell anything I have ever written (okay, I haven't seriously tried yet, but that's not the point).

You may not wish to put up your music for discussion, but loading one or two of your favourite pieces onto your homepage may well bring a lot more positivity to your membership than you now presently believe. After all, there are composers on this site, who only last month first put pen to manuscript paper, or mouse to sequencer etc.

There is as yet, no requirement for members to load up their own music. I'm only suggesting that you will get more out of this forum if you did.

tony hartmann said:
    Sorry about the false post.
    If I may make this personal, you're talking about me here. I do appreciate both the comments and understand the logic. If you're willing to here the op side, please read on. I have not posted anything I have written. I have been at MIDI composition since 2001. Yes, I have my attempts on CD. I do not post them because: I am a serious amateur judging my work to be of no interest to most of the composers in the group. One, my stuff is orchestral - not classical. Two, I have never sold or attempted to sell this work as many here do. Three, the forum questions do not seem to pertain to my specific composing needs and or I am not qualified in any realistic way to comment on another persons work. Four, those that are successfully selling their work appear to me to be wanting to connect with others like themselves, (exactly what this forum is intended for). Five, Kristofer Emerig has expressed my view in his excellent post above. Six my works average around 7 to 10 minutes each, which, understandably, does not appear to have a great appeal to most members ( I could be wrong).OK, that is why I don't post my compositions and why I do search the forum for music I am interested in, commenting only on the works that appeal to me and leaving the critique to seasoned experts. I live in Johnson City TN and could attend the group gathering offered by Mr. Alper, but have decided aqainst it. One- I have no clue what to do there. Two- it would take me away from the eight hours a day that I am attempting to devote to my composing (which is sore need of more hours per day). This forum is one of three that I use to take the occasional break and use to try and understand the MIDI composing process.
    So I thank Chris Merrit for starting this site. If my view is not sufficient to continue as a member, so be it. I will still continue to view the site and listen to what skilled and talented others are capable of doing with composing, and if I could find a way to contribute money to the site maintenance without using the web for payment- I would do that.
    best to all,
    tony h
    Leave your Suggestions Here
    Do you have a suggestion on how to improve something around here?  Leave a comment here!
  • The most important thing, at least as of right now, is just to be an active member. Make a post or two occasionally. No music required!
  • Ah Simon you might be referring to me for I just composed music by mouse nearly that recently. Actually I started composing in April of this year on notation software. I found it a very delightful experience and I found receiving feedback helpful. Now I am trying to compose with a VST host/ DAW and the experience is both exciting and a lot more challenging because of all those effects on many new instruments. EQ, what is a GUI? I have lots to learn. I am glad that you tolerate newbies like me. :)

Simon Godden said:
    Tony, I don't think Kris's post was intended for anybody personally. However, you say that you have been at MIDI composition since 2001 as if it is a short time. It isn't, believe me. I also believe that you may be being a bit hard on yourself when you say that your compositions are of no interest to anybody else, and the fact that they are classical is irrelevant, as a lot of composers on this site do not even work with orchestral forces, let alone classical ones.

I can't, and have no intention of persuading you to post your compositions onto this site. But I will say this. You may well find the experience very rewarding as there are a lot of people on this site that can provide intelligent feedback that could well be to your advantage. This is generally what the forum is about.

If I was to associate your points with me personally. My works are quite often a lot longer than 7-10 minutes long, and I have never, so far, been able to sell anything I have ever written (okay, I haven't seriously tried yet, but that's not the point).

You may not wish to put up your music for discussion, but loading one or two of your favourite pieces onto your homepage may well bring a lot more positivity to your membership than you now presently believe. After all, there are composers on this site, who only last month first put pen to manuscript paper, or mouse to sequencer etc.

There is as yet, no requirement for members to load up their own music. I'm only suggesting that you will get more out of this forum if you did.

tony hartmann said:
    If I may make this personal, you're talking about me here. I do appreciate both the comments and understand the logic. If you're willing to here the op side, please read on. I have not posted anything I have written. I have been at MIDI composition since 2001. Yes, I have my attempts on CD. I do not post them because: I am a serious amateur judging my work to be of no interest to most of the composers in the group. One, my stuff is orchestral - not classical. Two, I have never sold or attempted to sell this work as many here do. Three, the forum questions do not seem to pertain to my specific composing needs and or I am not qualified in any realistic way to comment on another persons work. Four, those that are successfully selling their work appear to me to be wanting to connect with others like themselves, (exactly what this forum is intended for). Five, Kristofer Emerig has expressed my view in his excellent post above. Six my works average around 7 to 10 minutes each, which, understandably, does not appear to have a great appeal to most members ( I could be wrong). OK, that is why I don't post my compositions and why I do search the forum for music I am interested in, commenting only on the works that appeal to me and leaving the critique to seasoned experts. I live in Johnson City TN and could attend the group gathering offered by Mr. Alper, but have decided aqainst it. One- I have no clue what to do there. Two- it would take me away from the eight hours a day that I am attempting to devote to my composing (which is sore need of more hours per day). This forum is one of three that I use to take the occasional break and use to try and understand the MIDI composing process.
    best to all,
    tony h
    Do you have a suggestion on how to improve something around here?  Leave a comment here!
  • It's a pleasure Anne. You'll have a lot more fun with a DAW/VST set-up. They give you more power than a notation programme.

Ann Rodela said:
    Ah Simon you might be referring to me for I just composed music by mouse nearly that recently. Actually I started composing in April of this year on notation software. I found it a very delightful experience and I found receiving feedback helpful. Now I am trying to compose with a VST host/ DAW and the experience is both exciting and a lot more challenging because of all those effects on many new instruments. EQ, what is a GUI? I have lots to learn. I am glad that you tolerate newbies like me. :)

Simon Godden said:
    Tony, I don't think Kris's post was intended for anybody personally. However, you say that you have been at MIDI composition since 2001 as if it is a short time. It isn't, believe me. I also believe that you may be being a bit hard on yourself when you say that your compositions are of no interest to anybody else, and the fact that they are classical is irrelevant, as a lot of composers on this site do not even work with orchestral forces, let alone classical ones.

tony hartmann said:
    If I may make this personal, you're talking about me here. I do appreciate both the comments and understand the logic. If you're willing to here the op side, please read on. I have not posted anything I have written. I have been at MIDI composition since 2001. Yes, I have my attempts on CD. I do not post them because: I am a serious amateur judging my work to be of no interest to most of the composers in the group. One, my stuff is orchestral - not classical. Two, I have never sold or attempted to sell this work as many here do. Three, the forum questions do not seem to pertain to my specific composing needs and or I am not qualified in any realistic way to comment on another persons work. Four, those that are successfully selling their work appear to me to be wanting to connect with others like themselves, (exactly what this forum is intended for). Five, Kristofer Emerig has expressed my view in his excellent post above. Six my works average around 7 to 10 minutes each, which, understandably, does not appear to have a great appeal to most members ( I could be wrong). OK, that is why I don't post my compositions and why I do search the forum for music I am interested in, commenting only on the works that appeal to me and leaving the critique to seasoned experts. I live in Johnson City TN and could attend the group gathering offered by Mr. Alper, but have decided aqainst it. One- I have no clue what to do there. Two- it would take me away from the eight hours a day that I am attempting to devote to my composing (which is sore need of more hours per day). This forum is one of three that I use to take the occasional break and use to try and understand the MIDI composing process.
    best to all,
    tony h
  • Ann said: " what is a GUI?"

HI Ann-

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/Graphical_User_Interface_GUI.html

graphical user interface

"Abbreviated GUI (pronounced GOO-ee). A program interface that takes advantage of the computer's graphics capabilities to make the program easier to use. Well-designed graphical user interfaces can free the user from learning complex command languages..."
  • Did you read all of this thread, Bob?

Bob Morabito said:
    Ann said: " what is a GUI? I have lots to learn

HI Ann-

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/Graphical_User_Interface_GUI.html

graphical user interface

"Abbreviated GUI (pronounced GOO-ee). A program interface that takes advantage of the computer's graphics capabilities to make the program easier to use. Well-designed graphical user interfaces can free the user from learning complex command languages..."
  • Simon--
    Ann asked a question which hadn't been answered, so I answered it.

Thanks, and take care.
    Bob

Simon Godden said:
    Did you read all of this thread, Bob?
    Bob Morabito said:
    Ann said: " what is a GUI?"

HI Ann-http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/Graphical_User_Interface_GUI.html

graphical user interface

• Well it was kind of obvious she had asked a question--and that I had asnwered.

Nothing really to suspect here SImon.

Thanks again.
    Bob

Simon Godden said:
    Exactly. Just what I suspected.
    Bob Morabito said:
    Simon--
    Ann asked a question which hadn't been answered, so I answered it.
    Thanks, and take care. BobSimon Godden said:
    Did you read all of this thread, Bob?

Bob Morabito said:
    Ann said: " what is a GUI?"

HI Ann-

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/G/Graphical_User_Interface_GUI.html graphical user interface"Abbreviated GUI (pronounced GOO-ee). A program interface that takes advantage of the computer's graphics capabilities to make the program easier to use. Well-designed graphical user interfaces can free the user from learning complex command languages..."
This reply was deleted.