Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I must confess I have added the following discussion to another website but hope you also find it interesting.

La Folia (pronounced lah foh-LEE-ah) which literally means madness, folly or empty-headedness is possibly one of the most remarkable phenomena in musical history. This simple but intriguing tune was first published in 1672 with roots going back to the 16th century. It has been a major challenge for many composers up to the present day, ranging from being part of a Bach Cantata to being incorporated into a film theme by Vangelis. Perhaps the most striking feature is that the theme is not better known despite more than 150 composers making variations of it over a span of nearly 350 years.

It strikes me that this would be an excellent basis for a competition among our members - just out of interest...sadly no cash prizes. Because sometimes I see myself fitting neatly into the meaning of 'La Folia' I have had a crack at writing 12 variations for horn quartet. For your interest the theme proper makes its first entrance in the 1st horn part in variation 5 - it is only 8 notes long.

Incidentally, I have become fixated with this so am now attempting a set of jazz variations - crazy or what!

Comments that might lead to improvements are welcome as always.

Views: 718

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep.  And he is gone.  Again.  Now we can get back to what variations really are!!

Let me know if anyone has any further sightings of SG/AS...

John Driscoll said:

BTW, everyone: agustus stephanos = steven gustin = augustus stephanos

La Folia indeed!

Julie Harris said:

Yep.  And he is gone.  Again.  Now we can get back to what variations really are!!

Let me know if anyone has any further sightings of SG/AS...

John Driscoll said:

BTW, everyone: agustus stephanos = steven gustin = augustus stephanos

HOWL (Hoot of wild laughter)

John Driscoll said:

La Folia indeed!

John, too funny!    (*you sly synchronistic punster)

'....madness, folly or empty-headedness...' great pun, not that I've had the pleasure of identifying/meeting/talking to/discussing anything with this fellow Gustin prior to this post...

OK Em....trust me to jump to conclusions....I think maybe I have discovered I am a bit of a MCP after all. No matter, it's a pleasure to meet you and thank you very much for your interesting comments.

Em Coston said:

No Stephen. I am a female. I do not care for my first name as it doesn't fit me at all, so I don't like to use it. I actually like to go by M. For clarity I will change my name to Em.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service