“CROSSROAD”   is the name of this new piece for piano and C-Trumpet.  I have never composed anything in Jazz style, and this is my first attempt. It was great fun to “play” (LOL) with dissonant chords. I am looking forward to your comments. 

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gene, thanks for your comments.  I would perfer not to use the mariachi  trumpet in my piece. I think it is is too bright. The trumpet part of my piece should be played without vibrato, and rather restrained (at least most of the time). In fact, initially I considered a muted trumpet.  But the mariachi trumpet is great in it´s own domain.

I liked your piece. Initially I found it a bit repetitive, but than you made some modulation, at 7.12  which I liked. But the repetitiveness did not bother me too much, it is somewhat characteristic for this type of  music. I can imagine that it would fit very well in connection with a bull fight.

But I think that you should use a better sound library. I never use the Sibelius library, because the sound is poor. Try the NotePerformer from Arne Wallander. It´s a  plug-in designed for Sibelius. It´s very simple to use and  it´s affordable.

You are right about the Spanish/ Latin American flavor of my piece. You will have noticed the kind of tango rythm, but the piano solo part is more traditional jazz-like. I am very fond of Spanish music. One of my absolute favourites is Albeniz. Listen to  Alicia de Larrocha playing Iberia ( it´s on Youtube). This is unbelievably good.

Regards, Johan  

Gene Alley said:

Johan, I am brand new here and listened to your work.  Nice melody, seems to have a little Spanish flavor to it.  Depending on what version of Sibelius you are using, you might want to see if there is a "Mariachi" trumpet listed.  As a former trumpet player (Bb), I like the sound of that one the best.  If you want to hear it, I just posted a Symphonic Orchestra composition with solo Bb trumpet called El Matador Mas Grande. It is the longest composition I have done (9:40) and does incorporate some jazz solos for trumpet, trombone, piano and marimba.  Have a listen and let me know what you think.

Best wishes,

Gene

Jazz piece for piano and C-trumpet
    “CROSSROAD”   is the name of this new piece for piano and C-Trumpet.  I have never composed anything in Jazz style, and this is my first attempt. It…
  • Johan, thank you for your constructive feedback & advice.  I agree with your assessment of Sibelius sounds. I really would like to add something like east-west orchestra sounds at some point.  I was aware of Note Performer, but right now living on disability puts a strain on the budget so I have to use what is at hand. I'm glad you liked the piece.

La Fiesta Brava!

Gene

• Bob, thanks a lot for your comments.  The idea of the Flugelhorn could certainly be interesting, but I must say that I am not very familiar with the trumpet (as you know, I am a piano player). I made a quick try by implementing the Sibelius sound, but it was not particularly convincing, probably due to the poor quality and the lack of expression modes. I suppose the non-vibrato idea comes from my great admiration of Miles Davis. But it not impossible that a carefully executed vibrato would show a new dimension, when perfomed by skilled musicians. It would be a thrill to work with such people and test this idea

I looked at  the mixer volume, and you are right, the volume is too low. I will fix it, together with some other adjustments, and I will then replace the current playback. 

Regards

Johan  

Bob Porter said:

Johan.

I like this. Thanks for posting it.

I am not a big jazz fan, I did not listen to this for a while. But since it is mostly a Tango (as you say) I'm glad I did listen to it.

I agree with Ray (imagine that) that a Flugelhorn would be a better choice. Sibelius 7 one and I pretty sure 6 does also. As it is, no need to change the key. If you want it for C trumpet, leave it.

Yet I doubt that any trumpet player will play this without vibrato. This piece begs lots of expression (at least to me). As a keyboard player I realize you may not be familiar with a lot of no keyboard techniques.

Also turn up the volume in the mixer before you export.

Jazz piece for piano and C-trumpet
    “CROSSROAD”   is the name of this new piece for piano and C-Trumpet.  I have never composed anything in Jazz style, and this is my first attempt. It…
This reply was deleted.