Replies

• Thanks Ian and Al. I'm very glad you liked it! The themes do repeat themselves a bit too much. I will correct that in the next piece I compose. I tend to vary each movement with the orchestration rather than the melodic content. I'm aware of that.
  • Thanks Ian and Al. I'm very glad you liked it! The themes do repeat themselves a bit too much. I will correct that in the next piece I compose. I tend to vary each movement with the orchestration rather than the melodic content. I'm aware of that.
  • Hi Michael

The dynamic shift goes from p to ff in some places. It might be the recording and the amount of reverb that muddles it. I'm sure there still are places that would need work, but I'm also sure I would find such places forever if I looked, and the project need to be finished. There's no better way to bury a project than to lose yourself in endless improvements. There is a point where the work needs to stop and I think I've reached it with this one.

It sort of the best plan I've come up with to contact lokal conductors. Not many around where I live but I guess I have to start local and work my way around if I don't get any response. Thanks for your comments and suggestions Michael.

Michael Lofting said:
    Hi Lennart

This is very pleasant music but I don't think it's finished.

Hard to tell without a score but there seems to be no dynamic shifts, all at the same mf level which can be wearying for players and audience. Are there any changes, phrasing to indicate rise and fall of sound level?

And yes, some development needed. I was thinking in the second movement that a middle section in minor would really lift the piece. And extending the coda at the end of fourth movement

To get it played is our biggest challenge. I would find some local community orchestras and approach the conductor.

Regards
    Mike L

• Lennart Östman said:
    Thanks Ian and Al. I'm very glad you liked it! The themes do repeat themselves a bit too much. I will correct that in the next piece I compose. I tend to vary each movement with the orchestration rather than the melodic content. I'm aware of that.

That said, Lennart, the themes are so nice that they are worth repeating. I repeat a lot, as well. It is not a deficit for the mature, you know. I don't think the young understand that most music of which we have a record was written for mature people ... it was *they* around which the society of those times revolved. (Thankfully that changed, I hear the young telepath.) But when in Rome ... errrr, ... what I mean is, one has to write music that fits the tenor of the times but, just in order to retain some vestige of "classical," the quality of what one writes must also respect age. We have more life's experience (if not more intelligence) upon which to draw as the music hits our cranium. More associations and memories make for more emotional response to passages that may flit over the head of less experienced persons. Enough said.
    It's finished!
    Just wanted to tell you that my suite Raised by the Spirit is now finished, and you can hear it on Soundcloud. Now comes the next phase. How on earth…

• Lennart Östman said:
    Thanks Ian and Al. I'm very glad you liked it! The themes do repeat themselves a bit too much. I will correct that in the next piece I compose. I tend to vary each movement with the orchestration rather than the melodic content. I'm aware of that.

That said, Lennart, the themes are so nice that they are worth repeating. I repeat a lot, as well. It is not a deficit for the mature, you know. I don't think the young understand that most music of which we have a record was written for mature people ... it was *they* around which the society of those times revolved. (Thankfully that changed, I hear the young telepath.) But when in Rome ... errrr, ... what I mean is, one has to write music that fits the tenor of the times but, just in order to retain some vestige of "classical," the quality of what one writes must also respect age. We have more life's experience (if not more intelligence) upon which to draw as the music hits our cranium. More associations and memories make for more emotional response to passages that may flit over the head of less experienced persons. Enough said.
    It's finished!
    Just wanted to tell you that my suite Raised by the Spirit is now finished, and you can hear it on Soundcloud. Now comes the next phase. How on earth…
  • I'm not sure if you really have to write according to the times you live in. Our times do tend to reflect in the music created, but I think it's possible, and many times desirable, to go against that.

Al Johnston said:

Lennart Östman said:

It's finished!
  • I didn't think I'd like it at first, but I thought the overall piece was very pleasant. The piece contains about 16 minutes of music and I'm pretty slow about picking up on musical structure until I've heard a piece several times. I may come back and see if I can comment on specific sections later.

Overall, I might agree that the variations on the theme have low contrast and so there is an feeling of sameness. I'm assuming it's an orchestral piece. An orchestra provides many ways of coloring the sound, but your orchestration seems mono-chromatic. As an exercise, you may want to experiment with scoring the same phrase using different instrumentation and see how varied a sound you can produce. For a real piece, of course, you choose a particular sound to match the overall musical idea you want to express.

All that said, I have heard classical concerts that sound like your music. I tend to fall asleep somewhere during the second or third movement... :-)

• I didn't think I'd like it at first, but I thought the overall piece was very pleasant. The piece contains about 16 minutes of music and I'm pretty slow about picking up on musical structure until I've heard a piece several times. I may come back and see if I can comment on specific sections later.

Overall, I might agree that the variations on the theme have low contrast and so there is an feeling of sameness. I'm assuming it's an orchestral piece. An orchestra provides many ways of coloring the sound, but your orchestration seems mono-chromatic. As an exercise, you may want to experiment with scoring the same phrase using different instrumentation and see how varied a sound you can produce. For a real piece, of course, you choose a particular sound to match the overall musical idea you want to express.

All that said, I have heard classical concerts that sound like your music. I tend to fall asleep somewhere during the second or third movement... :-)

This reply was deleted.