Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here so I apologize if I'm not going about this the right way - please let me know if so. 

I have a short piano composition here that was inspired by all the winter that's been going on (at least where I live). I personally dislike winter, so I wrote this song with the aim to somehow reconcile with it and create harmony out of the otherwise distasteful weather. 

My only concern with this piece is that the left-hand progression is repetitive - it simply repeats a simple arpeggiated pattern throughout the entire piece. Not that I think that is bad, but I'm afraid it might be too boring on the ears. 

I would love constructive criticism on the piece. I am very new to composing and am looking to learn as much as possible. 

I have posted both the link to the video and sheet music here. The title of the song is "stars in an igloo" (yes, the name is all lower-case, and I know this may be agitating for some of you. I apologize).

video: stars in an igloo

sheet music

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Songwon, welcome to the forum.  Your piece is pleasant to listen to and the recording is very good.  The only person who can answer your question about repetitiveness is you.   I'm assuming that you wrote the piece this way because you liked it. Your piece has drawn positive comments on YT.  What more do you want?  There are plenty of examples of classical music that have repetitive elements, and there is no rule handed down by the old masters that says "thou shalt not repeat thyself".  There is also no list of pieces that everyone automatically likes, so no matter what you do someone will like it and someone else will not.

If you want to ask a different question, maybe some of us here can try and answer. Thanks for posting!

• Here is a video of Prelude 1 from the Well Tempered Clavier by J.S. Bach.  The WTC is one of the most widely admired works in the history of classical music. Prelude 1 is very repetitive don't you think?

• Thank you for your reply Ingo. Yes, I did write the piece in the way in which I found appealing, however, I didn't know if it was theoretically too dull or simple... I guess I was not sure if there was a more objective way of analyzing the piece, and if so, what the critique would be. But I'm glad that you enjoyed it and appreciate you sharing Prelude 1 by J.S. Bach. 

Thanks for the feedback!

• I just listened and found it relaxing. Its elegance lies in its simplicity and there's nothing wrong with that. For a short work the LH arpeggiation works fine. Trying to cram other material into it would detract. If you are very new to composing you've made a great start.  

A most pleasant piece. 

• Wow, thank you so much for the kind words. Really appreciate it and it's very motivating. Thank you. 

• And thank you for the advice. I am a fan of simplicity, so this is also encouraging. I will keep it in mind during future works. 

• Thank you Michael

• I would say it's simple in a good way. It suits the atmosphere you want to express.

• That's great to hear! Thanks for the input.

• Depending on who you ask repetition is either fine, to be admired, or reprehensible and "'easy'". I say repetition has great precedents in classical music and your writing works well within it.

This reply was deleted.