Replies

• Well, I can't avoid comment on this one, Saul. Another of your beautifully calm, expressive pieces in such synaesthesia with the picture. My only musical comment is about the ending. I felt that final chord seemed out of place. I thought it was going to end on the dominant (note) just before. It would have left the atmosphere drifting on...

I won't ask about technical things like how you triggered the voice/background. It may have been intentional but there's a 'flutter-like' modulation throughout. It lent an ethereal, veiled quality to me, perhaps even a whisper from past times. Unexpected.

Pleasant indeed.

• Hi Saul, a nice melody, but I wish you would use more natural instruments/sounds. To me this sounds very much like "New-Age" which does not appeal to me that much ..

• Thank You Dane for you kind comments.

I really was not thinking about theory when I was composing this, actually this was like a one sitting piano composition which I later on added some electric guitar on the background, pretty simple in structure and feel, so I didn't really planned any of it, just let the music lead me wherever it did. I felt that the music ended logically and that is how it sounded to my ear. But I do understand that you may have a different opinion, and that's perfectly fine. The Flutter Like modulation is the light electric guitar giving it some background, like background vocals to a singer. I purposely wanted something mellow and light to enhance the piano sound and create this nice atmosphere.  Glad you found it appealing, that means the effect worked.

Best Wishes

Dane Aubrun said:

Well, I can't avoid comment on this one, Saul. Another of your beautifully calm, expressive pieces in such synaesthesia with the picture. My only musical comment is about the ending. I felt that final chord seemed out of place. I thought it was going to end on the dominant (note) just before. It would have left the atmosphere drifting on...

I won't ask about technical things like how you triggered the voice/background. It may have been intentional but there's a 'flutter-like' modulation throughout. It lent an ethereal, veiled quality to me, perhaps even a whisper from past times. Unexpected.

Pleasant indeed.

In Love
    In Love Mastered Version Regards, Saul In Love Saul Gefen · IN LOVE (MASTERED)
  • Thank you Gerd, but the music itself is not classical per say its more modern sounding both in sound and genre, so I used fitting instruments to create the mood and atmosphere that best expresses the music.

Best Wishes

Saul

Gerd Prengel said:

Hi Saul, a nice melody, but I wish you would use more natural instruments/sounds. To me this sounds very much like "New-Age" which does not appeal to me that much ..

In Love
  • Beautiful and evocative... I have to agree with Dane though, that the final chord seemed, maybe not out of place, but superfluous. (And also with Gerd that I'm not too fond of electronic effects, but that's another de gustibus thing.)

Very nice, thanks for sharing it.

• Thank You Liz,

I really don't get what is the problem with the last chord, I think that some may have chosen to continue the prior ending phrases and kinda let the music slowly fade away that's a possibility, but I really felt that the last chord was necessary to complete the song. But anyways I guess both ways are possible.

As for the modern instruments used I think that with classical instruments the same effect wouldn't have been achieved.

Regards

Liz Atems said:

Beautiful and evocative... I have to agree with Dane though, that the final chord seemed, maybe not out of place, but superfluous. (And also with Gerd that I'm not too fond of electronic effects, but that's another de gustibus thing.)

Very nice, thanks for sharing it.

In Love
  • Hi Saul,

Yes, it's really a matter of taste. The piano part is truly exquisite, and for me the the electronic mutterings and whisperings seem out of place and almost spoil the effect. The evocation of "in love" would work better if the piece were scored for acoustic instruments only, piano and maybe strings. But that's just me... obviously that's not what you wanted, and it's your piece.

As for the last chord, I guess it feels to me like you just put it there because convention says you have to end on the tonic. I'd almost always agree, but here I felt the ending would work better without it, everything the same but without the last chord.

But again, it's your piece, and that's just my personal impression as one listener.

Best,

Liz

• Ok Thanks Liz.

Regards

Liz Atems said:

Hi Saul,

Yes, it's really a matter of taste. The piano part is truly exquisite, and for me the the electronic mutterings and whisperings seem out of place and almost spoil the effect. The evocation of "in love" would work better if the piece were scored for acoustic instruments only, piano and maybe strings. But that's just me... obviously that's not what you wanted, and it's your piece.

As for the last chord, I guess it feels to me like you just put it there because convention says you have to end on the tonic. I'd almost always agree, but here I felt the ending would work better without it, everything the same but without the last chord.

But again, it's your piece, and that's just my personal impression as one listener.

Best,

Liz

In Love
This reply was deleted.