Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

The last piece in a suit about natural moods - and almost tonal. It’s the last piece I’ll write in this style. Gave me trouble. I scrapped a piece I posted recently that just meandered about and got nowhere. I hope this makes more sense.

This one is about scents floating in the evening air, reminiscent of a brief holiday in a village in the south of France. Written about 3 months ago and given a few touch-ups yesterday.

The orchestra includes a piccolo trumpet for the highest trumpet notes.

Comment good or bad would be gratefully received if you can afford the 5 mins to give it a listen. Many thanks.

Cheers, Dane

Views: 331

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dane what you have now would give more flexibility to a lyricist I think. The botched abortion tale is certainly dramatic.  Steven also has several partially done 'scripts' for a space musical series.  'Interstellar Fur Traders' is mostly complete, 'Planet of Beautiful People' is about a spaceship full of Hollywood stars headed for a planet reserved only for them, kind of tongue in cheek stuff. I'm sure he'd love to satirize some politicians.  Just a thought.

Fantastic piece, Dane. I love the way you play with chords and 'surprising' harmonies, related to jazz chords and impressionism. Also the orchestration has great merits, always telling us something new, something unexpected. And to make it complete: the performance and recording support the quality of your work (could be important these days of virtual music).

Sincere congrats!

Jos

Hello Jos,

You are most kind. Thank you for listening and your comments - most appreciated. As to my orchestration, I'm never sure... I don't try to be unconventional (sometimes put up a light music number that pulls me back to more conventional things) but it's feeling the ever-changing mood and how the sounds evolve. 

Pleasing then that it made sense to you.

Again, many thanks.

Dane

I really enjoyed this Dane , the VST's and mix are excellent. I like the evolving scenes style you have.

Hi Dane,

Well, what a fine few minutes for my ears. This score has very clearly defined the reasons for why I joined a music forum. And I'm not just being nice. If I was able to score something like this, I would call it a mini masterpiece. This music is very much to my taste so I am more than happy overly using complimentary words.

Please bear in mind that I don't know many musical jargons so my critiquing won't be very useful!

It just keeps my interest from start to finish as it takes me on a journey. Almost everything is on-point.

I thought the triangles at 1:48 where too overpowering and tinny, personally I would change them to sharper lower velocity notes.

The brass is too sharp and thin for my ears to aid the excellent atmosphere you created. Personally, I would use muffled/muted horns/instruments in replacement.

I truly admire your mastery over the strings. Just the few seconds of strings and harp at 4:00 tells a story of its own.

Truly wonderful work.

All the best

PS the 'Cinebrass' VST for Kontakt has always worked wonders for me

Good morning, Tarun,

Many thanks for listening and your astute and encouraging comments.

Truth told, you affirm some of what was said earlier in this topic: the balance was at fault and the brass scoring was poor. I never knowingly cheat with things like volume; like, for instance, if the flute is too quiet it's too easy just to push up the mixer fader a bit. I almost always work with velocities - as these affect timbre - once the mixer faders are set.

The whole orchestra was too loud but; the brass sounded like it was playing behind a thick curtain -  so I tried fading everything down except the brass. It didn't work. The brass still sounds shrill. On re-investigation, it's probably poor brass scoring. I used a piccolo trumpet for the top notes and doubled it an octave higher with the flute, and two octaves higher with a piccolo that's too loud. Removing these doublings may solve the issue.

I'll have another look at it shortly. It isn't a satisfactory work and I feel embarrassed now over posting it with the hope that others would listen to it. I'm grateful that they did as I thought it ok at the time. Thankfully people were quick to point out some of its failings so I've something to work on. Isn't that how we learn?

So again, thank you for your analysis. No need to worry about jargon. The message is fine and clear!

I'll pop this piece back in the pending tray.

Cheers,

Dane.

Hi Dane,

I am very much looking forward to your refined version, and will be adding the current version to my daily listening playlist.

I can't imagine any reason for you to be embarrassed for posting it - it's still more interesting a listen than most of my works haha. I would encourage you to post everything you've done! Gives me something to good to look forward to...

All the best

Dane Aubrun said:

Good morning, Tarun,

Many thanks for listening and your astute and encouraging comments.

Truth told, you affirm some of what was said earlier in this topic: the balance was at fault and the brass scoring was poor. I never knowingly cheat with things like volume; like, for instance, if the flute is too quiet it's too easy just to push up the mixer fader a bit. I almost always work with velocities - as these affect timbre - once the mixer faders are set.

The whole orchestra was too loud but; the brass sounded like it was playing behind a thick curtain -  so I tried fading everything down except the brass. It didn't work. The brass still sounds shrill. On re-investigation, it's probably poor brass scoring. I used a piccolo trumpet for the top notes and doubled it an octave higher with the flute, and two octaves higher with a piccolo that's too loud. Removing these doublings may solve the issue.

I'll have another look at it shortly. It isn't a satisfactory work and I feel embarrassed now over posting it with the hope that others would listen to it. I'm grateful that they did as I thought it ok at the time. Thankfully people were quick to point out some of its failings so I've something to work on. Isn't that how we learn?

So again, thank you for your analysis. No need to worry about jargon. The message is fine and clear!

I'll pop this piece back in the pending tray.

Cheers,

Dane.

Nasty! Thats a compliment btw haha

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service