Impact

I wrote this piece for orchestra but unfortunately I am limited by my vintage MacPro which crashes whenever I even think of additional timbres. So, here is a piano version of it. I used 4 piano’s to cover all the parts, try to imagine a wide spectrum of coloration. The idea is to orchestrate it in due time. I have added a score without details, just the notes.

I wrote this piece as a result of the Corona pandemic. It’s a musical description of how I perceive the impact that it has on me personally.

It starts with a clear scene, a simple life as a pilot. The regularity of the metronome is the “ticking-of-boxes” fulfilling the numerous checklists items before each flight. Then the full thrust sound of planes taking off followed by the idle thrust sound of planes landing, business as usual.
Then Corona hits, the atmosphere changes, there is a threat in the air, society gets de-railed worldwide. The widening of chords is the increasing number of people infected. Then the second wave hits us (in Holland, right now) Thereafter my hopes for the near future….planes taking off again…

My questions are:
- Disregarding my description, what do you hear? What images come to mind, if any?
- Any ideas on how this will work for orchestra?
- Any suggestions, remarks, idea’s, mistakes that I may have made?

All comments are welcome, I’m here to learn….
Thanks for listening!

Impact.mp3

Impact.pdf

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Joost,

I first commented on this yesterday saying that the main theme of this music is similar to that of Beethoven's third movement The Appassionata but then after listening to it several times again I came to the conclusion that the piece is different enough to stand on its on merit. It is more like a dance as Dane had suggested and a very good one indeed.

Regards,

Saul

• Hi Saul,

Thanks so much for listening and your comment. Highly appreciated.....

Saul Gefen said:

Joost,

I first commented on this yesterday saying that the main theme of this music is similar to that of Beethoven's third movement The Appassionata but then after listening to it several times again I came to the conclusion that the piece is different enough to stand on its on merit. It is more like a dance as Dane had suggested and a very good one indeed.

Regards,

Saul

Impact
    I wrote this piece for orchestra but unfortunately I am limited by my vintage MacPro which crashes whenever I even think of additional timbres. So, h…
This reply was deleted.