Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I've recently finished the first complete draft of a short fugue I've been working on. My intent was not to write a Bach-style fugue, or to perfect Palestrina-esque counterpoint, I just wanted to write something nice while I am away from my studies on winter break and this is what resulted.

It is scored for 5 parts: Piccolo, 2 Violins, Viola, and Cello, and is in D Major.

Thoughts? Criticisms? How can I improve from here as a composer, and what would you have done differently in a work of this style? Thank you in advance for your time, this community is incredibly helpful to me as a composer.

Here is a link to the score: http://imgur.com/77YU7RQ

Views: 1226

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not 100% what you are asking but the G# is part the chord V/ii in D Major which leads perfectly to the key of A Major because the chord, an E Major chord, is the V of A. So that is your common chord. Is that what you are asking?
Now look at the 1st line in measure 8 going from A major to D major in measure 9. His line is purely diatonic and flows directly into D Major.

I mean to say, is there any way you could have written the subject completely diatonically, without utilizing a secondary dominant chord? Or perhaps placed it slightly outside the subject itself?

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Not 100% what you are asking but the G# is part the chord V/ii in D Major which leads perfectly to the key of A Major because the chord, an E Major chord, is the V of A. So that is your common chord. Is that what you are asking?
Take a look when the subject "Real Answer" is in A Major starting at measure 5, I kept the main theme diatonically and it even cadence on scale degree 1 "A."

I'm not referring to the answer, I'm referring to the subject.

Take a look when the subject "Real Answer" is in A Major starting at measure 5, I kept the main theme diatonically and it even cadence on scale degree 1 "A."
Forget it, I tried. I gave you a freaking example already, it doesn't matter if it was the subject or answer they are still the same darn music just transposed.

I apologize if I've upset you, you just aren't understanding my question. 

Again, I appreciate the time you've taken to help. Thank you.

Forget it, I tried. I gave you a freaking example already, it doesn't matter if it was the subject or answer they are still the same darn music just transposed.
Is this what you where asking? It is the subject going to the start of the answer without the G# and purely diatonic.
https://app.box.com/s/n42mhydvdfyf0c1nhihrm6tu8lvqvqt9

Yes, exactly.

Is this what you where asking? It is the subject going to the start of the answer without the G# and purely diatonic.
https://app.box.com/s/n42mhydvdfyf0c1nhihrm6tu8lvqvqt9
Good. :)

Gav said,

"I'm sure you all have great things to offer and/or have already offered. I suggest that when offering them you do it with the kindest heart possible. There's such a thing as being honest, and such a thing as just being brutal."

Those are very good words, especially in this context.

Sam:

I liked the clarity of each voice.  The mood was light, which is always nice with a fugue.  I am working on a fugue at the moment and the hardest part is balancing the harmonic movement with melodic movement.  To me it seems that the harmonic structure is strong, so maybe take more liberties with the melody.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service