I've recently finished the first complete draft of a short fugue I've been working on. My intent was not to write a Bach-style fugue, or to perfect Palestrina-esque counterpoint, I just wanted to write something nice while I am away from my studies on winter break and this is what resulted.

It is scored for 5 parts: Piccolo, 2 Violins, Viola, and Cello, and is in D Major.

Thoughts? Criticisms? How can I improve from here as a composer, and what would you have done differently in a work of this style? Thank you in advance for your time, this community is incredibly helpful to me as a composer.

Here is a link to the score: http://imgur.com/77YU7RQ

Fughetta in D Major.mp3

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not 100% what you are asking but the G# is part the chord V/ii in D Major which leads perfectly to the key of A Major because the chord, an E Major chord, is the V of A. So that is your common chord. Is that what you are asking?
  • Now look at the 1st line in measure 8 going from A major to D major in measure 9. His line is purely diatonic and flows directly into D Major.
  • I mean to say, is there any way you could have written the subject completely diatonically, without utilizing a secondary dominant chord? Or perhaps placed it slightly outside the subject itself?

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Not 100% what you are asking but the G# is part the chord V/ii in D Major which leads perfectly to the key of A Major because the chord, an E Major chord, is the V of A. So that is your common chord. Is that what you are asking?
    I've tried to write a Fugue, how have I done?
    I've recently finished the first complete draft of a short fugue I've been working on. My intent was not to write a Bach-style fugue, or to perfect P…
  • Take a look when the subject "Real Answer" is in A Major starting at measure 5, I kept the main theme diatonically and it even cadence on scale degree 1 "A."
  • I'm not referring to the answer, I'm referring to the subject.

Take a look when the subject "Real Answer" is in A Major starting at measure 5, I kept the main theme diatonically and it even cadence on scale degree 1 "A."
    I've recently finished the first complete draft of a short fugue I've been working on. My intent was not to write a Bach-style fugue, or to perfect P…
  • Forget it, I tried. I gave you a freaking example already, it doesn't matter if it was the subject or answer they are still the same darn music just transposed.
  • I apologize if I've upset you, you just aren't understanding my question. 

Again, I appreciate the time you've taken to help. Thank you.

Forget it, I tried. I gave you a freaking example already, it doesn't matter if it was the subject or answer they are still the same darn music just transposed.
    I've recently finished the first complete draft of a short fugue I've been working on. My intent was not to write a Bach-style fugue, or to perfect
  • Is this what you where asking? It is the subject going to the start of the answer without the G# and purely diatonic.
    https://app.box.com/s/n42mhydvdfyf0c1nhihrm6tu8lvqvqt9
    Box
  • Yes, exactly.

Is this what you where asking? It is the subject going to the start of the answer without the G# and purely diatonic.
    https://app.box.com/s/n42mhydvdfyf0c1nhihrm6tu8lvqvqt9
  • Good. :)
This reply was deleted.