I used to write baroque and classical styled music, when I was 20-24. I am now 38, and want to avoid the mistake I made earlier.

I am mainly here to find a score writing program that works for me.

I wrote my previous music on a 1985 program called deluxe music, and have been able to find a program as simple and efficient.

I do not actually play any instruments. What I am mainly in need of is something that I believe to be called "Virtual piano note entry," in which one clicks notes on a on screen piano and the notes appear on the staff

Also desired is the ability to hold down the button while scrolling along the staff, and be able to hear each note before releasing the mouse button. Sibelius does/ or did not allow this. The click of the mouse would not hold the note at all, it would enter it immediately.

I really do not need the gazillion bells and whistles that finale and sibelius offer. Just simple composition and notation.

If you can help me, then you are solving a problem that I have faced for fifteen years!

Thanks.

Justin

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why is writing classical / baroque style music a "mistake"?

• Well, some would say that if you want a decent income, a family and not risk your health,then being a musician at all is a mistake :-P

I've tried a number of scoring applications and they are all a pain to deal with, but writing out legible scores is no picnic either, so I'd say try the free one like Bob says.

• If you have an iPad I quite like notion which features a note entry piano keyboard.

Notion and studio one for Windows are on special from presonus at the moment.
  • Notion looks pretty cool, how is their audio library, can you post a sample?

Michael Lofting said:

If you have an iPad I quite like notion which features a note entry piano keyboard.

Notion and studio one for Windows are on special from presonus at the moment.
    I need the right software...
    I used to write baroque and classical styled music, when I was 20-24. I am now 38, and want to avoid the mistake I made earlier.I am mainly here to f…
  • I posted a piece "and be you blithe and bonny" where the sound file was notion. The score is from Sibelius though, haven't tried printing score from Notion.

The sound is a little bright and forward but quite acceptable. For comparison I think the version on my home page is from Sibelius.

I don't have Notion for pc, just the iOS version which I think costs under $20. Also instruments cost a couple of dollars each, less in bundles.
  • Notion for iPad is good and the sounds are somewhat usable. If you want some sort of grid exit or input I can recommend YouCompose for iOS. It also does very good harmonisation. Perfect for baroque misstakes : )
  • That's supposed to be. "Edit", no exit...

Lennart Östman said:
    Notion for iPad is good and the sounds are somewhat usable. If you want some sort of grid exit or input I can recommend YouCompose for iOS. It also does very good harmonisation. Perfect for baroque misstakes : )
    I need the right software...
    I used to write baroque and classical styled music, when I was 20-24. I am now 38, and want to avoid the mistake I made earlier.I am mainly here to f…
This reply was deleted.