Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hi!

I am currently producing a large-scale (50 minutes) orchestra work (Symphony No 1), created by Alexander Lavrov. I use Cubase and East West Symphonic Library.

I created and introductory article for those, who are starting to use sample libraries for orchestra scores. Article is intended to help understand some of the useful techniques and prevent some problems, that a beginner can face.

http://alch.us.to/articles/csboa/

I hope it helps someone. All comments are welcome.

Views: 392

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great tutorial! Thanks!

Wow!!! i prefer work with an orchestra but this gonna be helpful!!! Its gold! 

ty !!!

Hi! Thank you for your comments.

Raymond, I have only Kontakt edition. So, if you can tell what differs in the situation of Play edition, I can include it in the article.

I suppose that these things can differ in Play edition:

- Approach to mixing different microphones (C, F, S) and building multiinstruments

- RAM management and RAM requirements. Purging samples.

- Working with multichannel MIDI (maybe?)

P.S. I hope, that most important part of the article - working with samples (sections Writing, Prepareing and Setting up) will not change much. Engine-specific information is usually more or less accessible in the Internet.

This is an interesting endeavor. Your music is interesting too. 

Did you think of inserting live performance elements into the music project? For instance, you can really perform live some virtual violin or harp parts using a MIDI keyboard, paste them to the (MIDI) score in the proper place, and then tweak and adapt them to fit the music form plan and the co-sounding instruments.  

Frankly speaking, I think the difference between live performance and score-generated one (however versatile tools are used) is so huge that one cannot expect very good results without inserting something live, possibly played on virtual instruments. Maybe I am wrong.

Andrew, using live performance tracks with sampled can be difficult if you use wet sound (with already built-in natural reverberation), as it is with East West Symphonic Orchestra and some other libraties. Of course, you often can use dry sounds only, but it usually decreases the overal sound quality, because you have to use some artificial reverberation. To cut it short, it will be interesting and I will try to do it, although there are some problems with it.

As for the comparison of live and sampled sound, I created a post specially for you: http://composersforum.ning.com/forum/topics/compare-live-performanc...

These are not my best sampled works compared. Interstellar String Quartet was sampled better, but I do not have live recording of it yet for comparison.

Andrew Gleibman said:

This is an interesting endeavor. Your music is interesting too. 

Did you think of inserting live performance elements into the music project? For instance, you can really perform live some virtual violin or harp parts using a MIDI keyboard, paste them to the (MIDI) score in the proper place, and then tweak and adapt them to fit the music form plan and the co-sounding instruments.  

Frankly speaking, I think the difference between live performance and score-generated one (however versatile tools are used) is so huge that one cannot expect very good results without inserting something live, possibly played on virtual instruments. Maybe I am wrong.

That's an excellent paper/tutorial, with some great advice.

A minor suggestion would be to add some audio samples, particularly whenever you have a picture of the piano-roll; have a small audio snippet of what is on the screen-- then the reader can hear how what you are suggesting really sounds when doing real music.

Thanks Brian.

There are some sound examples for complex  setups. I agree, that I could make more sound examples :)

Brian Schmidt said:

That's an excellent paper/tutorial, with some great advice.

A minor suggestion would be to add some audio samples, particularly whenever you have a picture of the piano-roll; have a small audio snippet of what is on the screen-- then the reader can hear how what you are suggesting really sounds when doing real music.

I will check your paper as soon as possible!

for some reason this link doesn't work. Has it changed? Or is it the NSA at work?

Link is working for me. You can try this mirror:

http://alch.16mb.com

You can be using some filtering of free hostings in your antivirus or corporate network team. As my site is not commercial, it is on free hosting.

Robert Hunter said:

for some reason this link doesn't work. Has it changed? Or is it the NSA at work?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service