Replies

• I use East West Quantum Spaces for reverb which is extremely easy to use, and for eq, I just use what comes in Cubase.
  • Valhalla Room, dude! It's only 50 clams, easy to use, and works great in Reaper. For EQ, just use the plugin that comes bundled with Reaper. For a freebie, EpicVerb is also pretty darn good and works well in Reaper, too, although, for me, it's a little more tricky to use effectively than Valhalla Room.

• Hi Rodney,

Thanks for your input again.

What advantages does EW quantum spaces have over the reverb that comes with Cubase?

Is it more user-friendly or are there more parameters you can adjust?

• Thanks Paul,

That's exactly the kind of info I'm after!

• You're welcome. If you do go with Valhalla, believe me, you won't be disappointed. It's a great piece of affordable software.

Stephen Williams said:

Thanks Paul,

That's exactly the kind of info I'm after!

How do YOU add reverb and manipulate EQ?
    Hey guys, Which programs/plugins do you use for reverb and EQ manipulation? Why are they your favorites? I want something that is usable within Rea…
  • Valhalla is awesome.
  • It might be a little hard to believe (it sure was for me), but Valhalla even makes those bundled samples in Notion 5 sound considerably better. Now it's not quite so much of a "wince" to put a few ideas together there...

Rodney Carlyle Money said:

Valhalla is awesome.
    Hey guys, Which programs/plugins do you use for reverb and EQ manipulation? Why are they your favorites? I want something that is usable within Rea…
  • Hey,

For EQ, don't forget rule number one: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Any 4-band parametric EQ will do perfectly. (As a former audio engineer it's hard to wind back my expertise and focus on not sounding like a voodoo priest.) Modern DAW  software like reaper, cubase have excellent build-in EQ and dynamics processors. Use with care. Less is more. A good pair of ears, and secondly: monitors is advisable.

For reverb, aim to recreate liveliness but maintain a realistic level. Convolution Reverb like the EWQL will do fine. Valhalla sounds a little less realistic, but it's not bad at all. Using an EQ on the reverb channel might help you bring more detail and keep parts of the sound spectrum of your original sound from drowning in reverb.

Personally I will always go for the Universal Audio EMT-plate emulation for longer reverb or the Ocean Way Studios plugin for a credible room sound. The Ocean Way room modeling plugin is perfect for chamber music, piano, ensembles and vocal music. It adds a level of realism and liveliness that is unsurpassed in the digital domain. Unfortunately, you also need some hardware in order to run these UA plugins, which makes them far less affordeable, but for me they were worth it.

• Hey Guys,

Thanks for your pointers.  It's also helpful to have an audio engineer weigh in on the discussion.

I like the look of East West Quantum Spaces and Ocean Way because of the room size presets, but don't want to fork out that much money unless it's absolutely necessary.

Valhalla looks like much better value, however I can't find any demos of orchestras using it.

• If you're interested, Stephen, I could send you a message with a link in it to a work-in-progress I've got going that's using Valhalla. Just let me know. 

Stephen Williams said:

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your pointers.  It's also helpful to have an audio engineer weigh in on the discussion.

I like the look of East West Quantum Spaces and Ocean Way because of the room size presets, but don't want to fork out that much money unless it's absolutely necessary.

Valhalla looks like much better value, however I can't find any demos of orchestras using it.

This reply was deleted.