Hiraeth

Hi Everyone.

Just looking for the usual helpful feedback.

I was looking through an old music note book and found a 16 bar opening that I had written at Logan in airport Boston MA whilst waiting for my flight home. I didn't want to leave the city. I recently decided to turn this into a short piece for solo piano and chamber orchestra.

Have a listen and let me know what you think!
Joe Ruby.

You need to be a member of Composers' Forum to add comments!

Join Composers' Forum

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There are a lot of beautiful harmonic ideas going on.

The problem I have with the mock-up that you have posted is not related to the pitches, harmonies or arrangement.  Just that the performance itself, particularly in the strings, is really ambiguous with phrasing.  The articulations don't make much sense in the intro.

All-in-all it's a beautiful piece of music, and would benefit from live performers on the string parts.  It's really difficult and time consuming to get virtual strings to phrase things properly, with good legato and dynamics.

• Hi Leif,

Thanks for the kind words :)

Yeah, I agree the mock up is not the best, mainly due lack of patience for sample libraries haha

I do love them but as you mention they take a lot of effort to get all the articulations correct enough to sound like they are being performed by humans, hopefully one day I'll have it performed by real musicians but until then the mock ups will have to suffice... still runs rings around general MIDI though ;)

Thank you for listening,

Joe

• Have you thought about adding more wind parts, I really think it would help let a piece like this shine.

• Beautiful piece! :)

• Very nice! 

Maybe bring the oboe up a tad in the mix.  It sounds like you may have a really cool countermelody happening and it gets lost in the strings.

Nicely done.

• Mitch and Tim - I have re mixed to allow the woodwinds to shine through a bit more they got a bit lost under everything else in the last mix.

Thank you all for your kind comments they really do help :)

Best,
    Joe

This reply was deleted.