Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

I can't believe I didn't know about this forum before. So far I've listened to just a few works members have shared and it's clear you have some skilled and serious composers here. I love that scores are sometimes shared too. I'm an amateur composer. I have some works on SoundCloud and a few on MuseScore as well, mostly shorter works. I compose mostly with sample libraries in Studio One but also with Notion 6 and MuseScore. I'm trying to figure out how best to incorporate notation-based writing with the DAW/sample library approach I mostly use now. Studio One and Notion 6 can communicate with ReWire so I'm experimenting with that now.

I've been a singer-songwriter for decades but I love classical music and movie scores and the rich sounds of modern sample libraries from Spitfire and others are very inspiring. It's easy to make beautiful sounds but making music with emotion is hard. I have so much to learn, but it's all great fun. I look forward to hearing what others are doing and contributing what I can to the discussions. 

Best wishes to all!

Bruce 

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome, Bruce.

As long as making music is fun...in spite of the occasional anguish....

As far as notation and sample libraries are concerned: my general advice is, keep them separate. As in, write notation with software dedicated for notation -- you'll get less hassles that way.   But for audio output, notation software generally tends to leave lots to be desired. What I'd do is to write notation first (personal preference -- YMMV as they say), then import into your DAW as a separate project and then tweak the performance to your heart's content without worrying about how it might "mess up" the notation.

Personally I've been striving for a way to eliminate this redundancy -- incorporate both notation and audio tweaks into a single source -- but so far that's a goal that still seems some distance off.  Given the current state of technology, I recommend doing both separately in order to avoid the inevitable headaches that will come from trying to do both at the same time.

Thanks! That is certainly sensible advice though mileage does indeed vary. As a folk/rock/whatever singer-songwriter, I've been recording with DAWs for many years, while notation is still a second language to me. As with French and Japanese, I have a useful skill level but I am not fluent in it. But I think it's an important and useful tool and I want to get better. Depending on your goals and tools, an integrated approach is possible. I have a new composer friend who devotes much time to creating very accurate VI mock-ups of classical music, mostly early modern Brits. He's very successful with score-based workflow using Notion 6 and Studio One. He has documented his workflow in a great video series. It requires a lot of attention to detail, but it works well for him. I use the same tools and am adopting some of his techniques, though my focus is on original pieces, and they are as likely to originate in Studio One, inspired by some unusual library. Now that S1 v5 has an integrated notation editor (a strict subset of Notion 6 with which it now shares a code base), I think it will be easier to mix and match. 

H. S. Teoh said:

As far as notation and sample libraries are concerned: my general advice is, keep them separate...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2020   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service