Composers' Forum

Music Composers Unite!

Hello all,

2 months ago I proposed an idea for a “Heat” contest - write a composition that evokes the idea of heat, or is somehow based on that theme. 10 composers responded the contest with entries and these are posted below. All CF members are invited to vote on the contest! The deadline to vote is October 2 at 5 pm EST. You can vote for your favorites here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XD8HLSB

Views: 1284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

18 votes, thanks! There are 11 entrants in the contest, it would be nice if we could get to 22 votes, twice the number of entrants! Tell your CF friends to vote if they haven't already. Invite other friends to join the CF just to vote on this contest (and then of course to share on the forum!) Deadline to vote is today, 10/2/16, at 5 pm EST. You can vote here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XD8HLSB

The deadline to vote has passed and the voting is now closed. Results are being tabulated now and will be posted soon.

First of three posts:
THE COMPOSERS REVEALED! And how many people correctly guessed who they are (does not count towards who is the winner of the contest)

Composer A (Heat #1) is Wesley Laurence Curry (2 correct guesses as to the composer’s identity)

Composer B (The Night That Mâchoire Chien, Louisiana Caught Fire) is Art Lowell (1 correct guess)

Composer C (Heat: the Melting of an Ice Cube) is H. S. Tech (1 correct guess)

Composer D (Heat #2) is Alexey Arkhipenko (2 correct guesses)

Composer E (Under the Searing Sun) is Bob Porter (1 correct guess)

Composer F (Summer Carnival) is Ingo Lee (No correct guesses)

Composer G (Delirium) is DriscollMusick (1 correct guess)

Composer H (Mother Forgana) is Rudi Schmitt (No correct guesses)

Composer I (Glass Contraption) is Lara Poe (1 correct guess)

Composer J (Steam) is Michael Lofting (1 correct guess)

Composer K (Warm Saharas and Hot Solaras) is Serenity Laine (No correct guesses)

Second of three posts:
THE COMPOSERS’ RANKINGS IN THE “FUN” CATEGORIES! (does not count towards who is the winner of the contest)

Composer A (Heat #1) by Wesley Laurence Curry - 1 vote for “Best fit for ‘Heat’ topic, 1 vote for “Most melodious,” 1 vote for “Most traditional”

Composer B (The Night That Mâchoire Chien, Louisiana Caught Fire) by Art Lowell - 1 vote for “Best fit for ‘Heat’ topic, 1 vote for “Most unique”

Composer C (Heat: the Melting of an Ice Cube) by H. S. Teoh - 1 vote for “Best orchestration”

Composer D (Heat #2) by Alexey Arkhipenko - 3 votes for “Best orchestration,” 1 vote for “Most unusual interpretation of topic,” 1 vote for “Most unique”

Composer E (Under the Searing Sun) by Bob Porter - 1 vote for “Best fit for ‘Heat’ topic,” 2 votes for “Most melodious”

Composer F (Summer Carnival) by Ingo Lee - 1 vote for “Most unusual interpretation of topic”

Composer G (Delirium) by DriscollMusick - 2 votes for “Most unusual interpretation of topic”

Composer H (Mother Forgana) by Rudi Schmitt - 1 vote for “Most unusual interpretation of topic,” 1 vote for “Most contemporary”

Composer I (Glass Contraption) by Lara Poe - 2 votes for “Most contemporary,” 2 votes for “Most unique,” 1 vote for “Most unique”

Composer J (Steam) by Michael Lofting - 1 vote for “Most melodious,” 1 vote for “Most traditional,” 1 vote for “Most contemporary”

Composer K (Warm Saharas and Hot Solaras) by Serenity Laine - 3 votes for “Most whimsical,” 3 votes for “Most unique”

Third of three posts:
WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!
For each #1 vote, contestants were given 3 points, for each #2 vote 2 points, and for each #3 vote 1 point. Whomever has the most points wins! Here are the results!

WINNER - Composer D (Heat #2) by Alexey Arkhipenko - 33 points total - comments on your piece - “this composer knows what he wants to say and how to say it” - voted for you for first, “It was a very tough choice whether to vote for D over E. Ultimately I chose E for second place, and D for third, but this does not mean D deserves only third place; I'd vote both for 2nd place if I could. D has very high-quality production and very detailed orchestrations, with a powerful buildup in the middle destruction section. Production-quality-wise, I'd say D probably deserves 1st place. But judging musicality-wise, I voted for J first, then E, then D” - voted for you for third, “This composition is close to heat idea. Slow development to high temperature” - voted for you for first

2ND PLACE - Composer A (Heat #1) by Wesley Laurence Curry - 15 points total - comments on your piece - “Well put together and invoked a feeling of ‘heat’” - voted for you for first, “this composer knows how to say what he wants” - voted for you for second

3RD PLACE - Composer E (Under the Searing Sun) by Bob Porter - 14 points total - comments on your piece “It's a really tough toss up between D and E as to which is better. In my perception, both are equally good. Arguably, D has better technical execution and epic scale, but E has a powerfully romantic climax. Ultimately, though, I choose E over D, because I have a weak spot for romantic climaxes. E has a very nice long-term gradual crescendo that starts out sounding like a lone wanderer under an unforgiving hot sun in an endless arid wasteland, but ends up with a powerfully moving grandeur reminiscent of majestic mountains in a grand (though still unforgivingly arid) landscape” - voted for you for second, “(optional) Shaking sound is close to heat idea. Beginning is tedious like real heat. Abrupt energy increase brings too much exhilaration for heat idea. Then again it becomes tedious. Changes are not prepared” - voted for you for second

OTHER RANKINGS, IN ORDER OF VOTES GATHERED:

Composer B (The Night That Mâchoire Chien, Louisiana Caught Fire) by Art Lowell - 11 points total - comments on your piece - “Good beginning, although heat seems toylike and artificial. Nice instrumentation. Transitions are unprepared and unexpected” - voted for you for third

Composer J (Steam) by Michael Lofting - 7 points total - comments on your piece - “Nice soft sounds that blend nicely.” - voted for you for second, “The main theme has a nice melody, but what really sets this entry apart from the others is the very creative (and rather humorous) harmonization with effects that sound like a huffing, puffing steam engine! While it doesn't use advanced tricks like some of the other entries, and arguably doesn't have as fine a touch in terms of production as some of the other DAW entries, I found the steam engine depiction extremely effective and a truly inspired good idea. Good job!” - voted for you for first

Composer C (Heat: the Melting of an Ice Cube) by H. S. Tech - 6 points total - comment on your piece - “Has a nice sound and love the use of trills and timpani rolls in it” - voted for you for third

Composer K (Warm Saharas and Hot Solaras) by Serenity Laine - 5 points total (No comments on this piece)

Composer G (Delirium) by DriscollMusick - 4 points total (No comments on this piece)

Composer F (Summer Carnival) by Ingo Lee - 3 points total (No comments on this piece)

Composer H (Mother Forgana) by Rudi Schmitt - 3 points total - comment on your piece - “this composer knows what he wants to say” - voted for you for third

Composer I (Glass Contraption) by Lara Poe - 3 points total (No comments on this piece)

Congratulations to the winners!!! and especially to Alexey Arkhipenko for a runaway win, which, as I observed the statistics as they came in, was the leader from the first. Thanks to all who participated in this contest and to all who voted, you all just supported original composition in a meaningful way. The composers, voters, and all members of this site are now invited to participate in this thread to share anything they would like to about the compositions. I always put up the comments made on each composer’s works anonymously, but you don’t have to remain anonymous if you don’t want to!

Dear Gav, participants and voters, thanks a lot for this contest! I am glad that we have a lot of interesting pieces here in different styles and I am not sure which one is the best. It was interesting to me to receive comments and read comments to other pieces.

I also travelled to Stavropolskiy kray to shoot a video specially for this piece. Please have a look:

Much deserved win for Alexey with his evocative piece.

Video works well with piece too.

Excellent, Alexey.  The music and the fire, around 4:00 in the video. (Stavropolskiy cray).  Splendid!  

I enjoyed many of these pieces. I found Alexey's piece moving.Each piece had something special about it.

Curious to know who picked me as I entered hey nonny mouse lee?

Am I that obvious?

I agree, Joseph.  

Joseph Harry said:

I enjoyed many of these pieces. I found Alexey's piece moving.Each piece had something special about it.

Postscript: I really enjoy running these contests and as far as I can tell, at least some others do too. It’s a great way to get your original music in front of others, interact with each other, at least in some cases, and get real and meaningful feedback about what you did. One composer recently stated that he liked the contests because they challenged him to write on a topic not of his choosing, and that the deadline was challenging. Good! I greatly appreciate those who have composed original works and for those who voted. My best to you all, in this noble art that we all pursue

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Read before you sign up to find out what the requirements are!

Store

© 2021   Created by Gav Brown.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service