Replies

• I agree. I find his surprises devastating. In the 2nd movement of his 96th symphony, it starts with a 'run-of-the-mill' graceful enough tune (repeated twice) followed by this tremendous avalanche of a bridge passage that paralyses your senses with its dramatic beauty.
  • Yes, that was pretty good. Good call. What kind of work is that? I'm ignorant of it if the name doesnt say so...
  • I'm not sure, I suppose a ''Choral Fantasia'' would be the best way to describe it, but I can't be sure as I don't understand the lyrics.

Sean E Duvall said:
    Yes, that was pretty good. Good call. What kind of work is that? I'm ignorant of it if the name doesnt say so...
    Haydn, boring? Think again.
    For any of you who have always found that Mozart and Beethoven tended to steal Haydn's thunder, listen to this and think again:http://www.youtube.com…
  • Oh my God... that performance is awful - it DID move me to tears, I was grinding my teeth so hard....

Listen, MOST people who delve into the Classical period with greater depth and examination find that Haydn is an EXTRAORDINARY composer... but please delete the link to this video; it offends me! lol

You just have to let people discover him... Haydn wrote nothing that will ever be remotely as 'catching' as Mozart or Beethoven, and so you have to wait for somebody to make the connection and first have an understanding of the sensibilities of that period in music, as well as form a genuine relationship with both the other masters. Haydn wrote a ton of music, he wrote everyday, and he had no reason to write shocking music to grab attention - his position was secure for most of his life and he simply wrote what would please the court and the people who came to hear him.
  • Jeff, you've written that statement implying that I'm not qualified to make a positive statement about Haydn. You couldn't be more wrong. And your erroneous statement about Haydn having no reason to write shocking music because he simply wrote enough to please the court, is laughable.

Go and read a few Haydn biographies Jeff, or even a grade 1 text book about the 'classical' period will do. But whatever you do, please don't write false statements about the history of music because there are a lot of readers on this forum who might believe you.

p.s. That performance isn't great, I grant you. But Haydn's magic still shines through.

Jeff Cattie said:
    Oh my God... that performance is awful - it DID move me to tears, I was grinding my teeth so hard....

Listen, MOST people who delve into the Classical period with greater depth and examination find that Haydn is an EXTRAORDINARY composer... but please delete the link to this video; it offends me! lol

You just have to let people discover him... Haydn wrote nothing that will ever be remotely as 'catching' as Mozart or Beethoven, and so you have to wait for somebody to make the connection and first have an understanding of the sensibilities of that period in music, as well as form a genuine relationship with both the other masters. Haydn wrote a ton of music, he wrote everyday, and he had no reason to write shocking music to grab attention - his position was secure for most of his life and he simply wrote what would please the court and the people who came to hear him.
    For any of you who have always found that Mozart and Beethoven tended to steal Haydn's thunder, listen to this and think again:http://www.youtube.com…
  • Oh, I see - and where did you read about 'Haydn's Magic'? That sounds like a pretty non-musical assertion right there. lol History is nothing without context, Simon, and ANY biography you read will be simplified, but not only that - it will most likely be biased on the side of making Haydn into a diety, and likely try to deny it in the foreword. lol
  • The title of this post is a joke. It's like the title to that Grade 1 text book you were talking about... it's like saying 'A B C? think again!' and then posting a crap recording and expecting such ignorant human beings that would think Haydn 'boring' to also be able to find what's so special about the written notation underneath all of that bull**** being played.

I hope I'm being appropriately condescending, because that's exactly what you are. Minus the 'appropriate'.
  • When I said read a few Haydn biographies, it wasn't for you to ascertain Haydn's genius. It was for you to get your facts straight. You stated that Haydn's position was secure. That was correct. You also said that he had no reason to write shocking music. Now I don't know what you mean by 'shocking', but just because he wasn't compelled to write this so-called 'shocking' music, it didn't mean that he had no reason not to. He had EVERY reason to. He was a composer for goodness sake. That's what ALL composers do, strive to create new boundaries, break the mould etc. To say that he 'simply wrote what would please the court' is a horrendous generalisation. For a start, when Esterhazy died, his son kept Haydn on, but because he didn't much care for music, he practically gave Haydn a free rein. Then of course, when he retired from Esterhazy's employment, his music took a new direction again (The London Symphonies?)

I don't honestly know why you continue to write such provokative nonsense Jeff. Do you like making enemies? It's a shame really, because you are obviously well versed in music theory, and you would do better to devote your energy and time to writing 'shocking' music. As I'm sure you have the capability.

Jeff Cattie said:
    Oh, I see - and where did you read about 'Haydn's Magic'? That sounds like a pretty non-musical assertion right there. lol History is nothing without context, Simon, and ANY biography you read will be simplified, but not only that - it will most likely be biased on the side of making Haydn into a diety, and likely try to deny it in the foreword. lol
  • Haydn has always been my favorite over Beethoven and Mozart. His adagios are some of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever listened to or played! It has a purity to it that touches me. When it comes to music - to each his/her own...

I appreciate Haydn very very much. Not to mention that both Beethoven and Mozart studied with Haydn.
  • Mozart absolutely did not 'study' with Haydn. They were friends - Mozart wrote a few pieces that took Haydn's style into account, but let's be honest - Mozart's symphonic writing had more to do with Johann Christian Bach than Haydn. I implore all of you to listen to the symphonies and concerti of J.C. Bach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfJwzdKECHg

Laura Cook said:
    Haydn has always been my favorite over Beethoven and Mozart. His adagios are some of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever listened to or played! It has a purity to it that touches me. When it comes to music - to each his/her own...

I appreciate Haydn very very much. Not to mention that both Beethoven and Mozart studied with Haydn.
    - YouTube
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
This reply was deleted.